Spending time in Turkistan and Lugovoi waiting for a train

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: IndianGuy, Saule
fitrat

Spending time in Turkistan and Lugovoi waiting for a train

Postby fitrat » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:47 am

In September I'll probably be trying to get from Turkistan to Bishkek using trains. As it seems the most useful connection starts in Turkistan shortly after midnight and requires me to make a stopover in Lugovoi (Lugovaya).

Never having been to Kazakhstan before let alone taken a train there, I wanted to ask if boarding a train after midnight in towns like Turkistan is something usual or rather strange for a foreigner. Are there any recommendation about how to spend the time in the evening before the train arrives? For instance, is there a public bath you could take advantage of?

Secondly, Lugovoi seems to be a rather small town and spending several hours there could get boring quickly without any plan. Does anyone know about activities or sights there which would make a five hours' stay interesting without risking to be late for the train to Bishkek? Is there a luggage storage in Lugovoi?

Thanks for your comments right away.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Spending time in Turkistan and Lugovoi waiting for a train

Postby steven » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:41 am

Turkistan is a bit of a bigger town so there will be more people getting on. It's kind of a religious place so I think the number of drunks wandering around at night is limited - you should be fine.

Not sure what kind of entertainment you are looking for - there are different types of public baths - otherwise, chatting with locals and walking around is probably the most interesting thing you can do.

In Lugovoy milking a horse is probably the most interesting thing you can do. Since it is off the tourist track people will still be genuinely surprised to see a foreigner: take advantage to get invited for a sip of kymys, that's my advice.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D