Expo 2017

All about Kazakhstan. Expert: walkingalmaty
hajfly

Re: Expo 2017

Postby hajfly » Tue May 16, 2017 11:05 pm

Hi Steven, thanks so far, got a bit into your suggestion, sounds interesting to me. Sure I can make this within one day. It's more than 200 k to Karaganda and another 50 to Dolinka...

Have your heard of any local agency offering excursions ?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Thu May 18, 2017 10:07 am

Am not at home but will check if Saule has leads...will hopefully come back soon with an answer.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

saule
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Postby saule » Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 am

Hi Jens,

I made a research and the quote that I`ve got is 550$ for a day tour from Astana to Dolinka and back.
I find it too expensive so as many things in Astana during Expo.. :oops: I also find it rather strange that there are no short excursions offered in Astana. btw this is the official website with tours. http://travel.expo2017astana.com/tour/?lang=en They bet that everyone will be interested only in Borovoe? ..

I suggest 2 options:
1. Take a taxi to Karaganda. You can do it by asking your hotel lobby to request a driver via InDriver app. The driver will pick you in the morning and drop in the center of Karaganda. Once in Karaganda, we have a tour company who can take you to Dolinka. Karaganda is one of our favourite cities in Kazakhstan. It offers a good contrast to flashy Astana. I recommend staying a night there. We know a good hostel. Next day return back to Astana.
2. Another option is to go ALZHIR which is similar to the museum in Dolinka. A round trip would cost around 130-150 USD http://caravanistan.com/tour/alzhir-cam ... s-3-hours/
0 x
Saule at Caravanistan team

hajfly

Postby hajfly » Tue May 23, 2017 9:49 am

Hi Saule, thanks so far - sounds good but I just decided to cancel Kazakhstan during EXPO after also the guy who wanted to rent his flat on airbnb tried to rip me of after booking. It happened twice and maybe the guys over there need to do some learnings first, hopefully EXPO helps with that. In between I give preference to Georgia an spend my holiday there.

So thanks for your advice, I really appreciated.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Tue May 23, 2017 10:34 am

Astana is a place filled with terrible people with $-signs in their eyes now Expo is coming their way. They do not understand tourism. I fully understand anyone who wants to cancel their trip.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D