Cycling from Dushanbe to Bishek

All things concerning hiking, skiing, horse riding, cycling,...
ddgy

Cycling from Dushanbe to Bishek

Postby ddgy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:55 pm

Hello all

I have decided to do my first long cycle between Dishanbe and Bishek. I was hoping to do this in 5 weeks. I cycle a lot back at home but have never done a cycle tour. I was wondering if anyone had any experience cycling in the region? I just want to know of any good routes and any special considerations there would be, such as buying certain types of tyres (I currently have a hybrid).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Cycling from Dushanbe to Bishek

Postby bwv812 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:24 pm

There are lots of cycling blogs out there that cover this route, and you should be able to find them pretty easily via Google. There's really only one route that people take: the M41 all the way from Dushanbe to Bishkek (the only real difference is the northern or southern route out of Dushanbe). I believe schwalbe mondial touring tires are pretty much the universal choice.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: http://www.silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

ddgy

Postby ddgy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:20 pm

many thanks for the advice! do you think 5 weeks is a reasonable time? also if i find I am making slow progress is it easy to catch a ride?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:07 am

Have to add that many cyclists actually do not take the main road Bishkek - Osh, instead going off-road via Kazarman - Ak Tal pass - Song Kul towards Issyk Kul via Kochkor or via Tosor Pass.

It's also what I would recommend. Less dangerous, no traffic, more beautiful. Tough cycling, though.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Postby bwv812 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:44 am

Yeah, that would be a more interesting route, for sure, but would add substantial time, I think.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: http://www.silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

ddgy

Postby ddgy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:42 pm

do you think 5 weeks is too little time for that route?
0 x

Pamirski
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Postby Pamirski » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:40 pm

5 weeks seems reasonable to me (but it depends on the cyclist) and from Osh you have no problem finding a transport.
We then took a "Busnik" from Bishkek to Osh, kind of a van that is transporting goods, but also passangers (therefore no problem with a bike), but should start outside Osh.
Northern route is better from Dushanbe (less traffic, if there is no problem on the other road). From Khorog many cyclists take the Wakhan instead of M41.
0 x

ddgy

Postby ddgy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:58 pm

Many thanks. Just to be clear, did you mean 5 weeks is reasonable from Dushanbe to Osh or Dushanbe to Bishek (cycling the whole way).
0 x