Belukha from Kazakh side

All things concerning hiking, skiing, horse riding, cycling,...
konordstr

Belukha from Kazakh side

Postby konordstr » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi,
with a friend I am planning a winter outing next March in the Katon-Karagai park and the area towards Belukha. Depending on the amount of snow, weather, distance to be skied to reach Belukha, and time at our disposal, we may also consider a winter climb of Belukha. I have a high ground clearance 4WD vehicle, and we plan to drive from Astana. Does anyone here know about the conditions of the road in winter, in particular how far in one is typically able to drive? Is Rachmanov springs reachable by car in winter? We are experienced climbers/ski tourers/winter campers, but don't know about the access/local road conditions and don't speak Russian or Kazakh. I understand that we do need a permit/permits.
Thanks in advance for any information on this,
Kenneth Nordstrom
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Belukha from Kazakh side

Postby steven » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:02 am

Good question. I am not able to say either way. My guess is it really depends on the weather. Ask around when you are already in Ust-Kamenogorsk for the latest.

I am sure you will find opinion divided as well there. Some people saying it is absolutely impossible, others saying not a problem at all.

You should at least be able to get to Berel if the weather is normal. After that, the road deteriorates.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

konordstr

Postby konordstr » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks, Steven. We'll see how things go. In any case we'll do ski touring and camping there in March. Belukha only if time/conditions
permit.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:39 am

Please write back with your experiences! Sounds like a great adventure!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D