Qinghai lake

All about China. Expert: bwv812
bboti

Qinghai lake

Post by bboti »

Hi,

I have plans to visit some friends in Xi'an (Chine). I also have some plans to a multi-day bike trip in the area. Anybody has any experience in the area?
I thought biking around the Qinghai lake would be a good idea, https://bikeroll.net/?_escaped_fragment ... 97!99.7644

Thanks,
Botond
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Qinghai lake

Post by steven »

Hi Botond,

I have never been there myself but I did not want to leave your question unanswered. Did you find an answer somewhere else? Josh from the Farwestchina blog is a good source of info for this type of thing, I know he is into cycling as well, so perhaps ask him if you still need to know.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

alforgesinquietes

Post by alforgesinquietes »

hey! we will be cycling qinghai lake next week! did u finally go there? how are roads?!
siesie!
0 x
Roger & Sílvia cycling the world little by little :) http://alforgesinquietes.wordpress.com

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Let us know how it was, alforgesinquietes!
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bboti

Post by bboti »

alforgesinquietes wrote:hey! we will be cycling qinghai lake next week! did u finally go there? how are roads?!
siesie!
Not yet, this is a longer termed plan, later this year. But it sounds wonderful, if you are cycled in the area recently :) Any feedback is welcome about the lake.
0 x

alforgesinquietes

Post by alforgesinquietes »

hello!!! qinghai lake frozen is just awesome!!! haha we really enjoyed the ride, although it's been pretty cold and windy. we cycled the southern half of the lake on road S109.
day 1: xining - huangyuan (56km, little bit uphill)
day 2: huangyuan - daotanghe (51km, uphill, end downhill)
day 3: daotanghe - scenic resort 20km before jiangxigou (51km, flat, bike lane!!! :) - sandstorm made us stop)
day 4: resort - heimahe (72km, flat)
day 5: heimahe - chaka lake (85km, big uphill, big downhill, flat)
overall, incredible landscapes and tibetan folks everywhere! very few people, almost everything closed, but we managed to find food and accommodation every day. i would say spring will be awesome because all will be green (now is yellowish) and it will be full of birds and flowers!

we're really happy to have come this way!!! we almost missed it because it's not exactly on the way from nepal to kazakhstan, but we had read about the place and sure it's worth it!!!
see you on the road!
roger & sílvia
1 x
Roger & Sílvia cycling the world little by little :) http://alforgesinquietes.wordpress.com

bboti

Post by bboti »

Wow, your report sounds wonderful. It really made my day. It seems that 50km biking a day is doable for us.
Thanks a lot for the info, Botond
1 x