Hong Kong to Guangzhou by FERRY!

All about China. Expert: bwv812
Traveller11

Hong Kong to Guangzhou by FERRY!

Postby Traveller11 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi Folks,

In planning a trip to China for my wife and I our plan is to start in Hong Kong staying in accommodation in Kowloon and then we would then like to ‘do something different’ by taking the ‘Fast Ferry’ to Guangzhou which I understand we can board with suitable tickets from Hong Kong City Port to Lianhuashan Port, and this takes around 100 minutes?

However I cannot find any information that tells me if we will go through the Border Crossing into the PRC before we board the Ferry at Hong Kong City Port or if it will be when we get to Lianhuashan Port and if I need to allow extra time in the journey for getting across the Border Crossing either before we board the ferry or at the Lianhuashan Port end that could impact any onward transport reservation/tickets that we had pre-booked.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
0 x

cherishka

Re: Hong Kong to Guangzhou by FERRY!

Postby cherishka » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi Traveller11,

Hope the below information would help. The last time I took this same ferry was about 18 years ago when I was a kid. Things probably has changed with the ferry. But what hasn't changed for sure is there is still a border between HK/China (hopefully forever). You will go thru customs at HK Port to exit HK, and go thru customs when the ferry docks at the Lianhuashan Port into China. So spare some time for custom entry. Good news tho, this is not a popular 'foreigner' route, so for non-Chinese citizen with 'other passport', the line shouldn't be long.

Mind you, if your final destination is Guangzhou city, the ferry port is quite far away from the city center of Guangzhou. In which, taking a train (whether direct from HK or take the MTR to Lo Wo/Shenzhen first then get on the train) would be more directly/convenient.

Another way is the direct bus, which is the fastest, and going thru customs on both sides of the border back to back, quick easy, well organized. Last time we took it, it was very local, no tourist insight on the bus and thought it was a great experience for my bf first China experience.

I have done the HK-GZ route a lot so please let me know if you need more information! Safe travels!
2 x

Traveller11

Re: Hong Kong to Guangzhou by FERRY!

Postby Traveller11 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Hello cheriska,

While I am very grateful for your help and information which is brilliant!

I did find out that to get to our final destination in Guangzhou we will need an additional 2 to 3 hours because of the distance from the China Border Entry Point!

As the first 'alternative' I then looked at taking the Bus but the company selling the tickets only sold them to Shenzen, and no information was forthcoming from them when I asked 'What happens from there?' It seemed like they didn't know!

So the second 'alternative' was investigated and you are absolutely correct in that taking the train for where we are going is more directly convenient!

So guess who won?..........The Train!

Once again many thanks and if I have any further questions then I will get back to you.
0 x