Kazakhstan China border crossing

All about China. Expert: bwv812

Kazakhstan China border crossing

Postby 1288711 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Hello everyone,

Sometime at the end of this year my housemate and I plan to drive a el-budgo shitbox from the Netherlands across central asia, through china and down to Thailand.

For the most part our research points that while most of it is possible, and thank you because there's many confirmation coming from this site, ...but the Kazakh -China crossing seems to be difficult.

I've talked to some friends in China, and apparently the China OUT to Kazakhstan is quite easy, but Kazakhstan IN to China, is not so easy.
Everything i've found on this forum and pages are about crossing on buses, taxis etc. However what we really want to do is cross in our own car.
Most of the information points to 'the need to have a chinese driver's license' and in knowing that for the majority of people this is impossible, then the options given are to go by the bus, or taxi, or tour group option.

I lived in china for over 5 years, i have my Chinese drivers license, and can speak enough chinese to get by.
Speaking to a friend, he told be its a 1 time 5,000 USD 'fee' which most likely means envelope of cash, to bring your own car in (even if you have the license)
Does anyone know anything about this? Because that sounds incredibly steep

From general trying to register cars/ motorbikes in China, the law seems to be that the cars has to be 11 years or younger. So logically the only thing that they could hold against us is that as a 2nd hand / 7th hand shitbox.... this won't meet the criteria.
But if the car is within those limits.... does anyone know if it would be possible to drive across the border ourselves?

Thank you for you help everyone. I'm looking forward to hearing from people that have any kind of knowledge on this matter.
0 x

Re: Kazakhstan China border crossing

Postby 1288711 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:17 pm

....or maybe it's possible to bargain this 'fee' down to something more reasonable
0 x

shaik786

Re: Kazakhstan China border crossing

Postby shaik786 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:01 am

You will not be able to drive on your "own" in China, you will need a government registered agent to be accompanied with you throughout the trip as per Chinese law is what I gather.

For self-drive with own car, there are agencies who provide the service of arranging all the paperwork like border-crossing permits, license, temporary Chinese vehicle number plate, temporary Chinese driving license, etc., and the accompanying agent for the entire trip. I've approached at least 3 agencies and the best quote was around $4,800/-
1 x