driver in Sary Tash or Karakul

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski
sakara

driver in Sary Tash or Karakul

Postby sakara » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:09 am

Hello
we intend to travel from Sary Tash to Karakul in about two weeks. We do not want to travel back to Osh to find a seat in a shared car. Does anyone know a driver either in Sary Tash or Murghab who can drive the way? Any other suggestions?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: driver in Sary Tash or Karakul

Postby steven » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:43 am

Hi sakara,

I think your chances of finding someone in Sary Tash to drive you are slim. You need to organise this trip in advance with a tour operator.
0 x
Limited internet access 10.07-30.07. Thanks for your understanding!

If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Solsticio

Postby Solsticio » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:28 pm

I was there in October. No one will take you across the border for several reasons (not having a passport, not having papers for the car, having to drive back without passengers). In the end, I found someone to drive me until 1 km (and as such, out of sight of) the Tajik border post. It's not cheap though (I paid 40$), but there is not much choice. I turned down an offer to take me for 100$(!) the night before. Don't take any offer to drive you until the Kyrgyz border post. From there it's a 30 km walk to the Tajik one. There will be no other traffic.

After entering Tajikistan, the border guard took me to some builders, we took me with them to Karakul, after drinking some tea. I couldn't be lucky, but they didn't seem to have much to do, so earning some cash will be quite attractive to them.
2 x

bike-shuttle

Postby bike-shuttle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:28 pm

Hi,
Between the Kyrgyz and the Tajikistan border post is a red zone which is about 25 km long. The tax collectors leave you there without a car not through, no change. From the Tajikistan border post to Karakul it is again about 50 km.

Also inflow this route run is too dangerous (Lynx, Snow leopards and Wolves). There's a repeated attacks by wolves.

You have two options: a tour operator or at the customs office until someone takes you. The second might take some time (hours or even days).

Nice greetings from Kyzyl-Tuu
Wolfgang
0 x

sakara

Postby sakara » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:47 pm

thanks for the replies. We finally took a shared jeep from osh to murgab directly (intended toget out in Karakul but changed our plan once there), and on the way back got off already in sary tash(and spent a night in the nomansland due to heavy snowfall) for anyone reading this and wanting to go from sary tash: most shared jeeps make a break at gostiniza akun for food. if you are lucky they might have a free seat (not very probable), or you can exchange numbers/reserve a seat with drivers who go to Osh and will come back the following days.
1 x

Jibe

Postby Jibe » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:14 am

I make public a conversation i had with sakara, can be useful

Hello sakara,
I just read that you found a shared taxi from osh to murgab a few days ago. Here my guesthouse called some drivers, they said it is not the season, so i had to pay for the full taxi, how did you do?
Thanks
Jean-Baptiste

Sakara
Sorry, just saw your message now. Your guesthouse lied or just doesnt know the right drivers. Which one is it? How much did you have to pay? Please make this public in the forum. in january there were every day 1-4 cars...
I tried first at alay basa, where there was noone when we were there. Afterwards in downtown under the bridge we found 1 driver. When we left there were finally 3 cars doing the route in this direction that day.

Jibe
Thanks for your reply
It was in by ordo guesthouse ( not sure about the spelling)
Normal price for them is 2000 (so comission). Normal price is 1500 if you find directly the driver. I really want to go and they found a taxi for 4000, helped me to bargain in russian but i offered 3000 wich was still too much, i wasnt good on this one.
They didnt lie, were in fact really helpful in the middle of the night.
Really a few cars, was the only passenger in a pajero full of food. We were two pajeros full of food, no one else that day( we told me that pajero were a bit cheaper than land cruiser). Awesome ride
Jb
0 x

sakara

Postby sakara » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Hi Jibe
All drivers I met told me they ask for 2000 som/230Somoni per passenger now (because of winter) - not sure therefore if the 1500 you read about on wikitravel and lonely planet are still correct, prices tend to inflate quickly in central asia.
Actually shared jeeps and jeeps who take food/supplies for Murghab are the same. No "shared jeep" I saw had the possible 8 passengers, maximum I saw was 5. Rest was supplies to sell in Murghab.
So your driver was not a Taxi but a driver who had not enough supplies/passengers and therefore asked you more than the official price per seat in order to leave and not wait for another passenger/more cargo.
That is not uncommon. When we went back from Murghab to Osh two cars were allready full, and there were no additional passengers for the third. So we agreed to pay 4 seats (rest remained empty) in order to leave that day and not wait another day for more passengers. This is still much cheaper than to rent a car through an agency (=taxi).
So I think you and the guesthouse did allright. With no time to waste your chances of having to pay a little extra are allways good;-).
2 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Postby bwv812 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:17 pm

The price was 1500 in 2012, so I'm a little surprised it's still the same—especially given the significant currency devaluation that has occurred since then.
1 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: http://www.silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

sakara

Postby sakara » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:51 pm

And looking at my experience of the crossing (40hours on the road, 1/3 vehicles remained on the road) 2000 seems still a fair price;-)
1 x

Jibe

Postby Jibe » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:27 am

Had the information from a driver in murgab and confirmed in pamir lodge in khorog. In winter prices can also decrease due to the lack of passengers, at least for khorog dushambe (260, normal price 300 somoni, in the way from dushanbe, i payed 300 from murgab to dushambe). 120 for murgab khorog ( even if the car is not full, we were two passengers).
0 x