Cross-border market in Khorogh

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski
bwv812
China expert
China expert

Cross-border market in Khorogh

Postby bwv812 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:25 pm

A more interesting question is about the border market that happens near Korogh. I've never actually heard a report from a traveler on this market—only about the one near Ishkashim—and I wonder if it's open even though the Ishkashim one is closed.
Last edited by steven on Sun May 29, 2016 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split off into a new thread on the border market
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: http://www.silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

wtcrit

Re: Cross-border market in Khorogh

Postby wtcrit » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:36 pm

I was in Khorog last week, although the border market had been closed there was a strong rumour it was reopening that Saturday (9th July). Even PECTA seemed hopeful. I have no idea what actually happened as I had left by then.

This is just for the KHOROG market, Ishkoshim remains closed. Fwiw I think Ishkoshim is the only one that takes place in no man's land - the ones in Khorog and Kalai-Khumb are both on the Tajik side of the bridge, I believe.
3 x

Aleco

Postby Aleco » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:35 am

I was in Khorog around the second week of August and the afghan market was open. Ishkashim one closed.
2 x

seysearles

Postby seysearles » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:55 am

Aleco wrote:I was in Khorog around the second week of August and the afghan market was open. Ishkashim one closed.

Hi Aleco, any idea what day(s) of the week its open? Also do you actually cross into Afghanistan or is it in "no-mans land"?
0 x

olooov

Postby olooov » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:43 am

seysearles wrote:
Aleco wrote:I was in Khorog around the second week of August and the afghan market was open. Ishkashim one closed.

Hi Aleco, any idea what day(s) of the week its open? Also do you actually cross into Afghanistan or is it in "no-mans land"?

We were in Khorog on 01/07/2017 and market was on, after being off for three weekends. Roughly third of the stalls were filed, making it seem bit empty.
Next weekend 08/07/2017 it was canceled again.
As far as I know it's on only on Saturday, if not canceled.
You don't cross to Afghanistan, or it's not on "no mans land", it's fenced in area on Tajikistan side.
1 x
China to Europe by bike, 13000km.com

VTrembleySF

Postby VTrembleySF » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:38 am

Greetings - I was hoping to cross the border either at Khorogh or Ishkashim at the very beginning of January and wondering if it would be open during the winter?
Also if the markets are closed are there any other sites near the border that are worth seeing?
We hold passports from the US and Switzerland and also wondering if it's possible to obtain a tourist visa at these border crossings or do you have to get them in advance?
Thanks so much!
0 x

seysearles

Postby seysearles » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:54 am

Aleco wrote:You don't cross to Afghanistan, or it's not on "no mans land", it's fenced in area on Tajikistan side.

I think for the sake of clarity ... you can not "tick off" Afghanistan by visiting one of these markets. If you're desperate to cross into Afghanistan and are willing to take some risks you could probably find somewhere to swim across the river. We drove along it for 1500km and there are various sections that get really narrow (I would estimate 8-10m). Bear in mind though the narrower it gets the stronger the flow of water is. There is a pretty significant element if risk involved in that though. We were told that soldiers (snipers) monitor the border and will shoot at (above) you. I have my doubts that is true though given the length of the border and the terrain you could definitely find somewhere that is unwatched. I think your main risk is the strength of the river which is pretty ferocious. I think there is a significant risk of drowning. I imagine in winter its slightly less aggressive but then you have to contend with the temperature. We met a guide in Ishkashim who said that he once swam across and back and it carried him a 1km down stream in both direction (2km off base). I think if you're serious about doing Afghanistan you're better off looking at getting a visa and passing through the Wakham Corridor.

ps. I once swam across a river in Namibia to Angola (not as dangerous as it sounds) and spent an hour or so sunbathing in Angola. I get a twinge of guilt when people ask me what Angola was like and I say "yeah its really beautiful, great weather".
Last edited by seysearles on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

stefanonoke

Postby stefanonoke » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:21 pm

Seysearles,
It's really funny you write about swimming across the river to Afghanistan so seriously because when I was there, my friend and I would constantly joke about doing just that.
On the other hand, there were some moments where I considered it due to how hot it gets down there!
0 x

seysearles

Postby seysearles » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:37 pm

stefanonoke wrote:Seysearles,
It's really funny you write about swimming across the river to Afghanistan so seriously because when I was there, my friend and I would constantly joke about doing just that.
On the other hand, there were some moments where I considered it due to how hot it gets down there!

I seriously considered it also. To the point where I even scoped out a few river sections. The water isn't that hot trust me though. Nor is it calm. Thats what dissuaded me in the end. In hindsight it was a pretty stupid thing to even consider actually.
0 x

robert

Postby robert » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Update according to the Khorough tourist information today:

Khorogh cross-border market is closed today and has been closed for around a month. Ishkashim market has been closed for two years now.
1 x