Asghabat - Marv - turkmenabat

All about Turkmenistan
Aleco

Asghabat - Marv - turkmenabat

Postby Aleco » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:47 pm

Hi there,
Finally today I pickup my Turkmenistan transit visa! I'll be crossing into on 15 July for 5 days and than Uzbekistan and after that probably Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan .

Got already all the visas for all the countries mentioned above, except Kyrgyzstan where I have free visa as I know.

I also got the Chinese one for 3 months with entering day around end of September. Anyway I still don't know if I'll go there after Central Asia or I'll be back in Iran, as I really like the country and I would like to discover it better. I will decide btw but anyway I have now all the options opened!

If anyone of you are crossing in Turkmenistan around 15 July from Mashhad, I'm here!

Actually, maybe I was lucky but it was not hard to get the visa in Tehran for Turkmenistan, the guy at the embassy was really nice and helpful. Paid 55$ to get it (is it true that I'll have to pay also something else at the border to get in???)

See you on the way!

Ps: I was still undecided between Marv and darvaza, actually I don't wanna risk and try to see both of the places, but I come out that maybe will be good to do something different. Anyone has been in Marv (mary) here?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Asghabat - Marv - turkmenabat

Postby bwv812 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:36 pm

It's possible to see both Merv and Darvaza on a 5-day transit visa, as you can take the night train to/from Mary. You will lose out on some (lots) of sleep if you also see Darvaza at night, but it is possible.
http://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.ca/p ... eview.html
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: http://www.silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

Aleco

Postby Aleco » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:57 pm

If anyone are interested I done it, but with a different road trip in state of the 'touristic' darvaza. And luckily I had great experiences by couchsurfing and I really didn't spent over 50$ For all my stay!

My route was: Ashgabat, Mary and baylamaly, turkmenabat/sayat (for Villages local life experience)

It was just great, except the high control level at the border, where I lost 4/5 hours!
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:59 pm

Great to hear it, did not expect couchsurfers in the village in turkmenistan!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Aleco

Postby Aleco » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:21 am

I had really great time. I did couchsurfing all the time. I just used money to buy something sometimes and for shared taxis.

I did it in Asghabat Mary and turkmenabat, was really nice, especially in sayat I was first tourist around there, I've been invited also for launch and dinner from people :-)
1 x

Return to “Turkmenistan”