Iran travel budget for backpackers

All about Iran
mar

Iran travel budget for backpackers

Post by mar »

Hey fellow travellers,

considering the ubiquitous advices to bring all required cash into Iran, we're currently trying to figure out how much cash to bring. Any help is highly appreciated! :)

Here's our profile: low budget, backpacking mid-twenty couple; want to couchsurf as often as possible; won't fly.
Our first estimation: 50$ together per day.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Budget planning

Post by steven »

Should be more than enough. If you don't mind being overwhelmed with hospitality, you can basically travel for free in Iran, with the exception of tourist sites (you can bargain there though). Buses and trains are pretty cheap and I have been on buses where people have refused payment as well.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

steven wrote:If you don't mind being overwhelmed with hospitality, you can basically travel for free in Iran, with the exception of tourist sites (you can bargain there though).
Does depend on how white you are, though.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

bwv812 wrote:
steven wrote:If you don't mind being overwhelmed with hospitality, you can basically travel for free in Iran, with the exception of tourist sites (you can bargain there though).
Does depend on how white you are, though.
Who do you think will not get the hospitality? I have seen Asians being treated very well, but cannot say about black people or Indians. Middle East of course another question.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

I think like most places in the region—if not the world—the whiter, blonder, and more American you look, the better you get treated and/or the more attention you get. This is especially so in politically isolated places like Iran and Pakistan where the general population has little opportunity to interact with Westerners yet have a large desire to visit if not emigrate to those countries, as well as the desire to dispel stereotypes about their country. Those who are less white definitely get mobbed by friendly locals less often when out in public in Iran (which can be a good thing for the more introverted), that's for sure.

A little off topic, but I find it a little weird when some people complain that people in some countries aren't as friendly or hospitable as those in Iran or Pakistan, especially since this basically means that they're disappointed that those countries aren't as isolated as Iran and Pakistan (although Muslim hospitality also plays a part, I don't think it's the main reason for hospitality in those countries—especially in urban areas). Nobody goes to Europe or North America and complains that random strangers don't invite them inside for tea or dinner or whatever.

In Iran especially (and to a greater or lesser extent in other countries) there's also the issue of not properly understanding taarof, too, which can make some people appear more hospitable than they really intend to be.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

bwv812 wrote:I think like most places in the region—if not the world—the whiter, blonder, and more American you are the better you get treated and/or the more attention you get. This is especially in politically isolated places like Iran and Pakistan where the general population has little opportunity to interact with Westerners yet a large desire to visit if not emigrate to those countries, and to dispel stereotypes about their country. Those who are less white definitely get mobbed by friendly locals less often when out in public in Iran (which can be a good thing for the more introverted), that for sure.

A little off topic, but I find it a little weird when some people complain that people in some countries aren't as friendly or hospitable as those in Iran or Pakistan, especially since this basically means that other countries aren't as isolated as Iran and Pakistan (although Muslim hospitality also plays a part, I think it's not the main reason for hospitality in those countries—especially in urban areas). Nobody goes to Europe or North America and complains that random strangers don't invite them inside for tea or dinner or whatever.

In Iran especially (and to a greater or lesser extent in other countries) there's also the issue of not properly understanding taarof, too.
+1 for everything you just said. I just remembered that, although people were very friendly to Asians I talked to, my wife Saule, an Asian-looking Kazakh, did get a number of shouts of ching-chang-chong or ni hao followed by school girl giggles. This was restricted to Esfahan and Shiraz though. These were also the only places where people said 'Hello' to me (blue-eyed) in a more aggressive, ironic way. Clearly they already got used to foreigners there a bit.
0 x

SPR11

Post by SPR11 »

50 a day should be fine. Especially is you Couchsurf. We wrote a budget report you can check out too.
http://lostwithpurpose.com/budget-costs-backpack-iran/
0 x
Ramblings about our Asian journies at www.lostwithpurpose.com
There's some useful info too.

emmeff

Post by emmeff »

bwv812 wrote:
In Iran especially (and to a greater or lesser extent in other countries) there's also the issue of not properly understanding taarof, too, which can make some people appear more hospitable than they really intend to be.
I think point is very well made, and deserves wider discussion here and elsewhere.

This is as a good a place as any to start to understand the concept, and the articles linked at the bottom are useful, as well.

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taarof
1 x

mar

Post by mar »

Thanks for your advices! We ended up spending little more than 20 USD a day per person.
1 x