Transit visa in Azerbaijan

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
Toekan

Transit visa in Azerbaijan

Postby Toekan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:18 am

Hi all!

I'm planning to drive from Belgium to Mongolia next spring and we'd like to go through Azerbaijan. The caravanistan page says the easiest way to use your own car is a 3-day transit visa:

http://caravanistan.com/transport/driving/azerbaijan/

But I can't find any official information on this. The travel agencies I contacted for E-Visas weren't able to answer my questions. Does anyone know more about this? Where and how do we get a transit visa? Is 3 days enough to travel from Georgia to the Iran border and have a quick visit of Baku? Is there another easy way to go in Azerbaijan with your own car that does not have the 3 day limit, but still doesn't imply a hefty deposit?

Regards,
Frederik
0 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Re: Transit visa in Azerbaijan

Postby Crazydre » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:13 pm

Did you apply for an e-visa through Caravanistan? If so, what questions did you have that the agency could not answer?

As for a normal transit visa, you can get it at the Azeri embassy in Brussels
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:35 am

Hi Frederik,

there is no official information about this. If there would be, I could stop writing Caravanistan and go do something else. I regard the traveler reports linked to in the article as more official as information from the government - that is often incorrect.

There is no other easy way to go into Azerbaijan without the hefty deposit. You can drive from Georgia to Baku in a day, which I recommend if you are planning to take the boat.

Where to get a transit visa? At the embassy. http://caravanistan.com/visa/azerbaijan/
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Uazdan

Postby Uazdan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:44 am

They give the 3 day visa at the border when you arrive. So cross in the morning. We were told by the customs guy that the day it was issued was counted as one of the days. Mine was issued at 5pm.... Also there is a charge. US $25 engine size less than about 2.9L , US $40 if above. If your car documents don't have the engine size on them, have something that has the engine size on it e.g. drivers manual. They didn't want to believe mine was less than 2.8L.
0 x

Toekan

Postby Toekan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:37 am

Thanks for all the answers!

Uazdan: The caravanistan page says: "All other citizens have to have their visas ready before traveling to Azerbaijan. Visa on arrival on land borders (except for Iranians at Nakchivan) or at the sea port of Baku is also not an option." Can I ask what your nationality is? Or did visa on arrival expand recently? :)

So to summarize: To drive through Azarbaijan without a deposit, I can not use the E-visa services and instead will apply for a transit visa at an embassy, which must be done less than a month before entering the country. (?) Do you get it the same day or do you lose your passport for some time?

Sorry for all the questions, there's plenty of countries I need to apply for visas for, so I'm trying to make sure all of them can be done in 3 months.

Steven: After Baku, we're planning to drive to Iran (Astara I think). So that will mean 1 day drive to Baku, 1 day Baku and 1 to Astara, hopefully without getting stuck somewhere. :) I am very aware having a Belgian passport is a privilege!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:43 am

Hi Frederik,

I deleted my final comment, it was a bit too strongly worded :-) Just, not everything is supposed to be easy.

About getting a transit visa at the embassy - see the Istanbul/Tbilisi embassy reports

@uazdan: I am quite surprised to read you got a transit visa on arrival...never heard of that. Can you elaborate on that?
0 x

Toekan

Postby Toekan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:53 pm

No problem Steven, should've read the forum rules and the system of embassy reports before posting my question, apologies! Anyhow, guess we'll take the transit visa in Tbilisi embassy option and hope it doesn't take more than 5 working days. :)
0 x

roro

Postby roro » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:14 am

Hi,

I'm also very interested by this thread.

So let us know about your experience, thanks.

RR.
0 x

roro

Postby roro » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi,

Some questions about E-visa:

Do I need a LOI or not for E-visa?
If I understand well, the total cost for an E-visa is 55$, right(no LOI in this case)?
"Regular E-visa costs 55$ (Processing time: 7-10 working days)", no depending on which embassy.

Another question: no hassle with this E-visa at Iran/Az border post?
I ask this question because I've read some reports about this kind of problem with Turkm E-visa.

I ask also these questions because my plan is to go to Central Asia with my car,through Iran and Turkm.
But if our Turkm visa are rejected in Teh, my B-plan is to come back through Az, then Russia (with double entry visa for this country).
I prefer not to take the ferry, because I'm afraid of wasting time (not kilometers, sure!)

Thanks a lot for your replies and expériences.

RR.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:27 am

1. Yes, no LOI needed. It's an e-visa, so you don't need to go to the embassy.

2. No, the Turkmen is something completely different.
0 x