Uzbek transit visa. What does 1 day mean?

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
aal

Uzbek transit visa. What does 1 day mean?

Postby aal » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:46 am

Hi,

I am planning to apply in Dunshabe for a transit visa to cross Uzbekistan, either into Turkmenistan, or into Kazakhstan. Which way I choose to go largely depends on the answer to this question. Yes, I am aware that I must specify the route when making the application.

The question I have is answered in the visa section, but the answer is, to me, unclear. This is what the uzbek transit visa section says:

" If you have a 1-day visa, you have 1 day to exit and enter, not 24 hours. Same for 2 or 3-day visas."

What does that mean? For example, if one enters on Monday, and say it is a 1-day transit visa, does that mean you have to leave on Monday (so you have less than 24 hours), or sometime on Tuesday (and you may have more than 24 hours?

I am asking this because, in Belarus recently, 1 day would have meant leaving on the same calendar day and the 5 days I got was including the arrival day and the departure day, so it was really only 4 days.

Also, Uzbekistan MFA website says 72 hours.

Somewhat confused.

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Uzbek transit visa. What does 1 day mean?

Postby bwv812 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:02 pm

1 day = same day, same as Belarus.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: http://www.silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:31 am

I will try to explain it better then. It does clearly say that you can also get a 2 or 3-day visa, though.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

aal

Postby aal » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:42 am

Hi,

Thanks for that. Turkmenistan route to Caspian sea is now ruled out for this and other reasons, (eg: my inability to predict the Caspian ferry schedule out of Turkmenbasi combined with what caravanistan says about issues overstaying Turkmen visa). Better to go by aktau, Kazakhstan, with no visa hassles. So, I plan to cross Uzbekistan from Tajikistan to Kazakhstan and catch a train west.

Assuming that I can get a 3 day Uzbek transit visa, and enter on (for example) a Monday, I now understand that I must leave on the Wednesday. Do you think it would it be possible / advisable to sleep in Samarkand on Tuesday night and exit to Kazakhstan on Wednesday (via either Chernayevka/Zhibek-Joly or Konysbayeva / Yalama border crossings?

Sorry for asking a non-visa question here, but it's all interconnected, isn't it?

Thanks for your help.

Andrew.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:28 am

No worries. One issue: if you are going Kaz - Uz - Kaz, I do not think you can get a transit visa, since you are not transiting to another country. Only if you go to eg Tajikistan or Kyrgyzstan will you be actually transiting. Otherwise you need a tourist visa.

You can make it from Samarkand to Shymkent in one day easily.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

aal

Postby aal » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:48 am

Thanks Steve,

Steve: "One issue: if you are going Kaz - Uz - Kaz, I do not think you can get a transit visa"

I'm in Almaty right now, but going first to Kyrgyzstan and then Tajikistan, where I'll apply in dushanbe for the transit visa via Uzbekistan back to Kazakhstan, so no problem.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to seeing Samarkand after all.

Andrew.
0 x