Embassy report: Iran visa in Tbilisi

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
nuria

Re: Embassy report: Iran visa in Tbilisi

Post by nuria »

Off, every day more difficult! Thanks so much Kapesta.
0 x

eauguste

Iranian visa in tbilisi

Post by eauguste »

hello every one,

Some news about how to get the visa in tiblisi!

The guy called "shota" is still there and he didn't ask me for a bribe. But you need to know that he was really slow with me. I applied on monday and got it next week on tuesday. Ok i was unlucky because of iranian holydays! I think your nationality can be involved But you really have to be there at the opening hours, if not he ll tell to you to come back next day... And again and again.

At the end he was really nice when he told me "welcome to iran"

If u need informations, just ask me!

Best regards
0 x

thomas-madsen

Post by thomas-madsen »

Just got my visa today, the guy is still there, he's still a douchebag but everything went easy. Just make sure that you got and address and telephone number in Iran, i just use the name and number from the letter.

the insurance letter just need the expired date he dosn't care about the language.

Thomas
0 x

evanrprice
Supporter
Supporter

Post by evanrprice »

Quick report about getting Iranian visa in Tbilisi

In summary - a relatively quick (2-3days), efficient and hassle free process without any suggestion of bribes, etc.

> Firstly I am a South African - and applying rom SA we require a whole lot of blood tests, employee letters, etc. But on the road here in Tbilisi none of that was required.
> I got an authorisation code through Stantours, it came very quickly within about 5 days
> Went to the embassy two weeks later with the my passport, the authorisation code email, travel insurance docs and a filled out generic visa form off the web.
> The guy helping me was formal but very pleasant and helpful. He just wanted to see the travel insurance and they do require an 'address in Iran', even though this can just be the name, address and telephone number of a hotel in the town/city nearest the border you will be entering. You do not actually have to book or even contact them.
> Note that a dutch couple who were with me could not proceed as their authorisation code had not arrived at the embassy yet even though they had the email. They had had their code for a week where as i had had mine for two weeks at this point, so may be worth waiting that little bit longer.
> Then he gave me their Tbilisi embassy application form to fill in along with a slip to take to the bank to pay the 40 euro fee. He told me to come back the next day but I could have pushed him to be the same day if i needed to.
> I arrived back and submitted the application form, 2 photos, passport & travel insurance docs and he said i could pick it up the next day, which i did without any further problems.

> Note that I am cycling but obviously made no mention of that whatsoever. This was the 30 day itinerary that I filled in on the original application form through the agency (stantours) - Itinerary / cities and sites you wish to visit : Tourist visit - Day 1 & 2 – Tabriz, Day 3 & 4 – Ardabil, Day 5 – Zanjan, Day 6, 7 & 8 – Tehran, Day 9 & 10 – Kermanshah, Day 11 & 12 – Shūshtar, Day 13 & 14 – Shiraz, Day 15 – (Day Trip) Persepolis, Day 16 & 17 – Bam, Day 18 & 19 – Yazd, Day 20, 21 & 22 – Esfahan, Day 23 & 24 – Kashan, Day 25 – Tehran, Day 26 & 27 – Gonbad-e Kavus, Day 28 & 29 – Mashad, Day 30 – Turkmenistan.
0 x

abbytia

Post by abbytia »

Hi all

A quick update on applying for an Iranian visa in Tbilisi - we are New Zealand citizens.

The whole process was very quick and stressfree. We made sure that we were at the Embassy at 10 am yesterday morning when it opened. It is open Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays (not Thursdays or on the weekend).

We took the following with us:

- our authorisation numbers (obtained two to three weeks ago through Caravanistan)
- two passport photos each (I took both ones with a headscarf, and ones without - the person at the embassy chose the ones without, but he said it didn't matter either way)
- a certificate of travel insurance
- a full name, address and telephone number for a hotel in the first city we will visit, Tabriz (we don't have a reservation at the hotel - just the information about it was sufficient. Note it is actually quite difficult to find full addresses for hotels online - make sure you have a street number)

The guy there checked our reference numbers, gave us the application forms and the bank account number, and sent us to the bank to pay the fee. For NZers it is EU100. The bank is a 15 minute walk or 3 minute, 2-3 lari taxi ride from the Embassy. You need to personally go to the bank with your passport to pay the fee - one person can't pay on behalf of multiple people.

We returned to the Embassy, he took our documents, photocopied our passports, and popped our passports into a plastic bag. He told us to come back at 12 pm the next day (Tuesday), which we did. You need another form of ID to get back into the Embassy - I don't have a drivers licence or alternative ID but did have a photocopy of my passport on me, which was sufficient. He then gave us our passports, showed us the visa, and wished us a good journey. He was very polite and friendly throughout the whole process.

We are kind of amazed it was so easy and quick - maybe the upcoming changes to the visa regime are already influencing the process?
2 x

thebee

Post by thebee »

We had a very similar experience to Abbytia when obtaining our visa's in Tbilisi last week (thank you for the easy to follow list).

Process was as follows. Abbytia's list of things to bring was exactly right.

Day 1: arrived at 10am (when it opens). The guy checked passports, retrieved his documentation matching our approval code, gave us an application form and slip to take to the bank. Told us to come back at 10am the next day with everything completed. (He said we could not come back the same day).
Day 2: arrived at 10am. He took our passports, completed application (+insurance, +passport photos, +first hotel details) and proof of payment. Told us to come back at 12pm the next day.
Day 3: arrived at 12pm (as he had requested) and received our passports, along with a "welcome to Iran"

Other details:
- Canadian female, French male. Fee for each of us was 50 euros, payable only at a TBC bank.
- The guy at the consular office was professional (a bit cold, but professional).
- Given the restrictions on Canadian's travelling in Iran, I took an itinerary; however, he did was not interested in it.
- My photo was without a headscarf and that was no problem.
- The posted hours for the office are 10:00-13:00 M, T, W, F only.

Can't wait to see Iran!
0 x

Bart-Jan

Post by Bart-Jan »

My experience was more or less similar to the one from abbytia and thebee

As thebee mentioned the embassy is open 10 am to 1 pm only, no afternoon opening after that.
I showed up at 10.15 am on tuesday, no one else there. Got the paperwork and bankslip and was told to return in an hour. At that point it was a little busier but still hardly any waiting at all. The guy checked everything and after everything was OK I was told to return on friday, so 3 days later. Since I planned staying in Tbilisi until then already no problem there.

Details
- Dutch male
- needed 2 photographs, printed travel insurance policy, filled in form, proof of payment in bank

All in all an unexpectedly smooth proces. Only I'm very unhappy I just got 26 days in the country but the Embassy is not to blame for that
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Bart-Jan wrote:All in all an unexpectedly smooth proces. Only I'm very unhappy I just got 26 days in the country but the Embassy is not to blame for that
Thanks Bart-Jan. You should be able to extend easily, so your 26 days is not an issue I think.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Experience February 2016 (Dutch male)

Arrived at the embassy Monday at 10:00; there was no one. I handed over my LOI code (obtained three weeks earlier), passport, 2 photos, and travel insurance. All was put in a plastic film and handed over back to me, together with an application form and a payment slip (50 euros to be paid in cash at a TBC bank). I had to take new passport photos as they were not resembling me enough (I've grown a beard). I was told to return in one hour.

Returned Monday at 12:30; there were a few people but I didn't have to wait. Submitted:
-Passport
-2 recent passport photos
-Travel insurance statement with date (non-original; copy)
-Proof of payment
-Filled out application form

Note that it's important to put a full name, street, street number and telephone number of your first accommodation in Iran on the form. I wrote down: Darya Hotel, 22 Bahman Ave, Tabriz, +98 41 3445 9501. There is actually no street number in this address (22 is part of the street name), but I couldn't find another address. This was accepted. Reservation is not required.

I was told to return Wednesday at 10:00. I returned Wednesday at 11:00. There were many people. After about 30 minutes I was handed over my passport. The visa is valid for two months, starting at the day I applied. Duration of stay is 30 days. I'm pretty sure you can still stay for 30 days, even if you enter on the last day of the validity period of the visa (can anyone confirm?).
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi Maarten,

thanks for the report. Yes, you can enter on the last day and still stay for 30 days (see http://caravanistan.com/visa/iran/)
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D