Temporary vehicle importation query

All about self-driving the Silk Road.
Henry L

Temporary vehicle importation query

Postby Henry L » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Hi all,

I have a bit of a tricky query regarding temporary car importation in Central Asia.

I am travelling through the EU, Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan by private vehicle for two months. I've been informed that Russia's temporary car import period (in my case 1 month) also applies to the Stans. They stated that my vehicle must be out of Russia + the Stans and 'back in the EU' before my Russian visa ends (which turns out to be quite soon). I guess this may be an effort to reduce the chance of travelers selling their cars in the Stans. During my research online I did not read anywhere that Russia has jurisdiction on vehicle movement/importation in the Stans. I assume there are numerous people who spend over a month driving in the Stans without such issues after first traversing through Russia. What are the odds of trouble arising from exceeding this country's temporary importation period by cruising around in the Stans for 2 months, without actually selling the car at any stage.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this situation.

Henry
0 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Re: Temporary vehicle importation query

Postby mazeno » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:49 am

it doesn't apply to tjk and uzb - they have separate vremiennyi vvoz (temporary import).
check what period of time you have descripted on vvoz.
overtime means big problems.
rus, by, kzh, kgz are in the customs union, so usually you don't change the paper to the new one on the union's inner borders, but try to ask for change (or get the prolongation) on the next crossing.
0 x

Ozkat61

Re: Temporary vehicle importation query

Postby Ozkat61 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:49 pm

Tajikistan - entered from Kyrgistan on motor cycle - was given 15 days on bike customs, even though Visa valid for 45 days. Met others whom advised small fine if bike stays longer of somewhere around 40som
Uzbekistan - entered from Tajikistan on motor cycle - customer declaration of driver has vehicle noted. Customs official made point of telling us motorcycle must leave country on or before 3 mths - Visa is for 30 days. Don't know if you could leave vehicle and fly out and return, due to declaration form which has to be handed in/new one completed on exit which customs compares to one completed on arrival
1 x