Long-term vehicle storage in Eurasian Customs Union Q&A

Self-driving the Silk Road.
steven
Admin
Admin

Long-term vehicle storage in Eurasian Customs Union Q&A

Post by steven »

This is the place for all your questions and experiences surrounding long-term vehicle parking inside the Eurasian Customs Union.

We sum up the rules and exceptions in our article on Long-term vehicle storage on a Silk Road trip.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Adam84

Leaving my car (from EU) in Kyrgz. for 1 year

Post by Adam84 »

Hey there fellow travellers,

I'm going overland to Magadan, in May this year I plan to come overland to Krygyzstan with my car (with EU registration) and leave the car in Bishkek for 1 year to return next year and continue overland to my destination.

Could you please help
Q: Does anyone have experience with
- Legal aspects to leave the car for 1 year (is it allowed, which paper work I need to take care of ? will i have no issue on leaving in 1 year at the border or when flying away with a plane in a first place as I entered by own car ?)
- Parking options (is there any reasonably priced and safe roofed parking spot/garage in or around Bishkek you could advice for such a long term parking ?)

Car is registered on my name, sole ownership, car is worth not more then 2-2.5K EUR

Thank you for help !
0 x

Zack&Pony

Re: Leaving a car in Central Asia

Post by Zack&Pony »

Situation: we made Mongol Rally in 2016 (South route: Iran , Turkmenistan , Uzbekistan , Tajikista , et etc ) , our car is in Moscow now.
Project: on end May 2017 we would like to go from Moscow to Volgograd -Astrakan - Aral Sea - Khiva and leave the car in Bukhara e go back home (Italy) by flight from Tashkent;
August 2017: Flight to Tashkent ; by train to Bukhara and take the car heading Tajikistan - Pamir Highway til Osh and Almaty

What about leaving the car in Bukhara and returning in one month? Could we leave the country by flight and return in August? Should we expect problem at the border ? thanks for your reply. Please suggest the better solutions including your service and organization
0 x

cristiano

Post by cristiano »

Zack&Pony wrote:Situation: we made Mongol Rally in 2016 (South route: Iran , Turkmenistan , Uzbekistan , Tajikista , et etc ) , our car is in Moscow now.
When does your russian temporary import papers expire?
I'm asking this because I'm curious: I heard that they are giving 12 months now, but I would like to have some more accurate infos.
Zack&Pony wrote:Project: on end May 2017 we would like to go from Moscow to Volgograd -Astrakan - Aral Sea - Khiva and leave the car in Bukhara e go back home (Italy) by flight from Tashkent;
August 2017: Flight to Tashkent ; by train to Bukhara and take the car heading Tajikistan - Pamir Highway til Osh and Almaty

What about leaving the car in Bukhara and returning in one month? Could we leave the country by flight and return in August? Should we expect problem at the border ? thanks for your reply. Please suggest the better solutions including your service and organization
I don't know how it works with Uzbekistan, as I always entered and exited with my bike, but for sure you can leave your car with no problems in Kyrgyzstan, as long as the temporary import papers for custom union are valid, and flights from Italy to Bishkek are cheap ;-)
0 x

Zack&Pony

Post by Zack&Pony »

Hi cristiano; import in russia is for one year. no problem . i will leave my car in Kirghizistan ad the end of the route and i'll do Mongolia in 2018. I found direct flight Tashkent-Rome. What about Bishkek -Italya? thks for your kind reply
P
0 x

cristiano

Post by cristiano »

Zack&Pony wrote:Hi cristiano; import in russia is for one year. no problem . i will leave my car in Kirghizistan ad the end of the route and i'll do Mongolia in 2018. I found direct flight Tashkent-Rome. What about Bishkek -Italya? thks for your kind reply
P
Bishkek-Italy you can usually find very good rates with Pegasus through Istanbul.
And with very good I mean I just reserved Milano-Biskek one way for less than 150 euro next august ;)
1 x

Mleen Circumbendibus

Post by Mleen Circumbendibus »

Hi all,
we are in this situation at the moment. We entered Kyrgyzstan on the 5th of September 2016. We came from Tajikistan and it seems we didn't get the 1 year temporary import for the Russians Customs Union. Instead we got a paper which seems to be a Custom Declaration form which states it is valid till 5th of December 2016, which is 3 month in total. We insisted to give us a longer period, but they told us something like: “It doesn’t matter, no problem”. Due to some mechanical problems and the start of winter, we decided to leave the bus for some month. At the moment we are back in Bishkek and we are continuing our journey towards Kazakhstan or again to Tajikistan.

Thats means we have to cross the border with a custom declaration form that is not valid anymore. We are in doubt what to do now. We could say we lost the document and show the stamp in our passport that it did go through customs on the 5th of September 2016, which is within the 1 year. Or would it be better to find a way to extend our temporary import somewhere in Bishkek?

Thanks and advance for sharing your experiences!
Marleen
0 x

Adam84

Leaving car in Krygyzstan for 1 year

Post by Adam84 »

Hello there :)

in approx 1 month time I plan to overland to Kyrgyzstan (will enter from Tajikistan) and I plan to leave my car (registered on my name, polish plates) there for winter (close to 1 year in total)

Please help:
Is it legal ?
Will I be let out of the country by plane (if my entry stamp is from car border, is there any indication on fact that i came by car) ?
What will be the fine after i try to leave a year after ? (in case i broke some time limit with this action)
Could I somehow do it "legally" ? (e.g. in georgia did the same and had to "temporary" register the car with georgian plates, recieved my polish ones back a year after when I de-registered.

Ps. any tips for border ? fees, insurance paper work etc ?

Thank you !
0 x

cristiano

Re: Leaving car in Krygyzstan for 1 year

Post by cristiano »

Kyrgyzstan is part of custom union with Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus and Armenia.
When you will enter Kyrgyzstan from Tajikistan, you will be given temporary import papers.
You shoulk ask to the guard at the border to make them valid 12 months (it is legal).
In 12 months you will need to be out not only from Kyrgyzstan, but from all of custom union countries.

No problem flying out and coming back.

Fines if you end up overstaying the 12 months?
I don't know, but I suggest you, if this happens, to try your luck exiting from custom union from Kyrgyzstan to Tajikistan, avoiding Kazakhstan, Russia and Belarus.
0 x

Adam84

Re: Leaving car in Krygyzstan for 1 year

Post by Adam84 »

thank you for help !
is this 1 year "on request" thingy ? or I need to pull off some story ?
Do i need to pay extra for that ?

Ps. I will enter russia from georgia and continue through kazakhstan then uzbekistan and tajikistan to kyrgystan
So on the russian/georgian border I request regular papers for visa duration right ?
and i contuinue with these through kazakhstan ? or I return these at russian/kazakh border and get there new ones to overland kazakhstan ?
Do i give these away on Kazakh/Uzbekistan border ?

thank you !
0 x