Bishkek-Dushanbe by public transport

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Bishkek-Dushanbe by public transport

Postby Crazydre » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:36 pm

Next year I'm considering doing a longer version of the circular rail tour I did in July 2016.

It involves taking the train from Moscow to Bishkek, then public transport via Murghab to Dushanbe, then the train from Dushanbe to Beyneu (Kazakhstan).

Where do I need to Change between Bishkek and Dushanbe? Based on the info on this site, it seems to be Osh, Murghab and Khorog.

Assuming this is the case, I wonder:

1. The train from Moscow reaches Bishkek at 23:00. Is there any public transport around this time to Osh, or should I book a hotel in Bishkek and leave the next morning?

2. Between what times, and with what frequency, does public transport run Bishkek-Osh (from the western bus station and the Osh Bazaar respectively), Osh-Murghab, Murghab-Khorog and Khorog-Dushanbe?

3. What kinds of public transport are there on each section?

4. What is the normal price for each section, for each mode of public transport in case there are several?
Last edited by Crazydre on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

aal

Re: Bishkek-Dushanbe by public transport

Postby aal » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi Crazydre,

I am actually in the middle of doing this, Bishkek-Dushanbe. I'm in Jalalabad right now, trying to figure out the next step.

Your first question was about public transport from bishkek to Osh. There are no buses. As far as I know, large buses are not allowed to cross the tunnel at the high mountain pass a few hours out of bishkek. There is info on caravanistan about this segment, which says how to find the minibuses that leave Bishkek from a certain market area.

That's what I did too, although I found out about it by asking around with the locals. Actually, there were not many minbuses as such in that area. It was shared car rides for the most part, which is what I ended up doing. 1200 som.

There probably is no other way, except like flying. As for leaving at 23:00 I have no idea, but It may be possible that these guys with cars/minibuses/jeeps etc do operate around the clock because it's a ten hour trip. However, the scenery is pretty good, especially the bit between the two main sets of mountains, and it would have been a pity to travel it at night.

Cheers.....

Andrew.
0 x

aal

Re: Bishkek-Dushanbe by public transport

Postby aal » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:22 am

Hi Crazydre,

Turning to the second part of your question, you are thinking Osh, Murghab and Khorog then Dushanbe. The Pamir highway route. It is well covered on Caravanistan, but if what you want is a real public transport route this may not be ideal.

First, there is a permit (GBAO) required for this route. Second, it all seems to be about small groups of people hiring jeeps for the group tour. It is the "thing to do" in Tajikistan. My impression - and please feel free to correct me - is that there is no defined public transport connections that follow that whole route.

I came from Osh to Dushanbe by public transport, via isfara in the North East of Tajikistan. It was a really nice trip. Osh - Dushanbe would be two days. Costs:

Osh - Batken: 300 som (3.8 euro) Minibus
Batken - Isfara: 15 som Minibus
Isfara - Khujand: I guess 10 somoni? (1 euro). May be a little more: I got off the bus 40 Km before Khujand and paid 8 somoni.
Khujand - Dushanbe: 70 somoni (shared car)

The last part is interesting, a mountain route. Again, no buses do this route. I was told only Shared taxis / cars. But, in Dushanbe, I met a traveller who went all the way from Khujand to Dushanbe via Panjakent entirely by minibuses in several steps. So if you want to use genuine public transport only, it is possible for the purist.

Cheers.....

Andrew.
0 x