Where are you going? Why?

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Where are you going? Why?

Postby steven » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:29 am

Hi Felix and Lika!

Sorry for the late reply! I guess you have figured things out by now...but very happy to read your travel stories. For sure, skiing is a new way of visiting Central Asia and there are great places to go in Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan.

Enjoy the ride!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

jordi_casas

Postby jordi_casas » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:59 am

Hello!

This is Jordi from Barcelona! I started my trip 9 months ago now and for central asia caravanistan was just necessary. Thanks a lot.

I went first in west Africa and then from Turkey to China. Where I'm going? Maybe back home now, I don't really know jaja When I am motivated to go to some place I like to hitchhick there. Finding motivation is the most important thing but when you find it, everything goes so smooth, even with difficulties on the road. I also like to plan on the road. I wasn't going to Iran but in Turkey I decided to do so. I wasn't going to China, but in Iran decided to go. I was skiping Tajikistan. The worst error ever, but solved. Go to the Pamirs was one of the best parts of my trip.

Why? Mainly for curiosity. If you don't go to a place I feel like it doesn't exist, even if you have seen many pictures of it. I like mountains and rock climbing. All the countries I've been have a great deal of walls and mountains of all heights and difficulties to climb. That's another reason for traveling. Meeting people, other foreigners or local people, is maybe the third reason.

Happy travels to everybody!! Maybe we meet on the road!
1 x

alforgesinquietes

Postby alforgesinquietes » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:33 pm

Hola a tothom!!!
We are Roger from Terrassa and Sílvia from Cerdanyola, both near Barcelona, and we took a year off to cycle from India back home.
We started last October 2016 in Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu, and reached Kathmandu, Nepal, for our "western" New Year!
The only Chinese visa available in Nepal was the Tibet Group Visa, so we flew to Lhasa three days ago, spent one day there and took a train out of TAR to be able to cycle independently. This has been maybe not the best decision of our trip so far (money and weather) but now it's done and we are in Xining, Qinghai, planning how and where to approach the west.
Kyrgystan? Kazakhstan? We need to be out of China on 24th February!
Why are we cycling? We don't really know... Because it's slow and gives us plenty of time to observe outside and inside... Also because it's cheap (not like Tibet, haha) and so far we are managing with 15€/day both of us (visas apart). We just needed a break from our routines back home and felt like going on an adventure together, also to see ourselves as a couple in all kinds of moments! So far we are doing quite well!!! Now winter is challenging!
See what comes!
Thank you sooo much!!!
All the best,
Roger & Sílvia
Thank you for this website!!! We'll try to update as much as possible!
1 x
Roger & Sílvia on our bicycles from the very south of India to Spain! http://alforgesinquietes.wordpress.com

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:49 am

Thank you for your story Roger and Silvia! Made me smile :-)

Let us know what happens, and Stay Warm!!
1 x

Jalopyjaunt

Postby Jalopyjaunt » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:06 pm

Dougie here, from australia. I want to drive my 1928 ford jalopy to canada, where it was made. Im taking advantage of the property boom and am selling up to fund this trip. Big money in fuel and carnet etc, but better than safely rotting in an over regulated, over controlled australia. Ive learnt that one cannot trust the news and i want to see central asia myself, after taking the transiberian train back in 95. My research has just begun and im unsure of what route to take? Russia has their own version of the a model ford, known as 'gaz', being licensed by henry ford to them in the 30's. The gaz is celebrated for pushing back the nazis there. Iran has also fascinated me, along with the silk trails and the history that goes with all that. Guess im looking for the path of least political resistance. The journey will provide, my method will challenge. Im regularly encouraged by seeing european plated vehicles around oz and want to join that legion.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:15 am

Hi Doug, that sounds like an adventure! I just googled your car. Wow, that is really mad. I would be really interested to see you getting across mountain passes with that oldtimer. Both Russia and Iran are welcoming to foreigners self-driving, you are bound to have a lot of interesting meetings.

In the case of Iran, just don't say you are driving when applying for a visa. You are taking the bus.

Main issue is China. Not sure if that is in your plan? You cannot drive your car yourself in China unless you have a tour guide, which severely ups the costs. Or you need to ship the car by train into Kazakhstan and continue from there.

Another option is across India and Pakistan into Iran. Pakistan is a bit unstable but people do drive and no one has been kidnapped in the past several years. Main issue here is Myanmar it seems, they have strict rules. Myanmar is outside of the boundaries of this website, I don't know much about it, but that is what I have heard.

Hope that gives you an idea. Otherwise, you can try shipping the car straight to Iran or Vladivostok and start driving from there. Further west, there are no political issues for Australians on a mission.
0 x

rfoltz

Postby rfoltz » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Hello/Bonjour/سلام/Салом,
I've been traveling to Central Asia and Iran since 1990 and have written books and articles about the region. Am currently writing a History of the Tajiks and planning a trip to Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, and -- if I can work out the logistics -- the Ismaili "Tajik" region around Tashkurgan in China, leaving April 21st. Any updated info regarding security issues (esp. AF), border crossings (esp. CH), etc. as well as individuals knowledgeable about the history and present of various Tajik communities will be most welcome!
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:13 am

Hi Richard,

so happy to see you here! Am afraid I have little to share you don't already know about Tajiks, but if I meet someone of interest, I will pass on your contacts.
0 x

jornk

Postby jornk » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Hey there!

After selling my VW camper van, my companion on roadtrip througout Europe, it's time for a new adventure: driving to Tashkent (and back!).
We are taking a -hopefully reliable- 20y/o Mercedes saloon.

After a lot of planning our itinerary will be the following:

Rotterdam (where I live) - Berlin-Vilnius-Moscow-Volgograd-Astrakhan-Atirau-Beyney-Jasliq-Khiva-Bukhara-Samarkand-Tashkent!
We will drive back via Turkestan-Aralsk-Aktobe-Kazan-Moscow-Latvia etc.

The total trip will take 4-5 weeks. Ofcourse we have a lot of questions about local conditions, practical tips etc. I am looking forward to read about all of your trips, and hopefully will share some information about mine!

Cheers!

Jorn
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:51 am

4-5 weeks, very impressive for such a big distance. Good luck!
0 x

Return to “Itineraries & trip reports”