Where are you going? Why?

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
steven
Admin
Admin

Where are you going? Why?

Postby steven » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:54 am

Please take a moment to introduce yourself and your travel plans/worries/black holes, so myself and others can chime in with hopefully useful thoughts.

One of the questions I am always interested in, but often gets too little attention next to the where and how of travel, is why are you (planning on) traveling here? Do you have a peculiar fascination? Did it just happen to be on the way? Do you live here? Before we all get bogged down in visa talk, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on this one too.

Cheers (and welcome once again),
Steven
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Roads of Adventure

Re: Where are you going? Why?

Postby Roads of Adventure » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:15 pm

Hello Caravanistan!

My name is Arnoud, and i'm from the Netherlands. Currently i'm on a massive roadtrip towards Mongolia and already this website helped me a great deal with the visa stuff. The reasons why I wanted to go towards this region are simple. It intrigued me a lot. I saw photo's of other travelers and it seemed like a whole different earth. I really wanted to see this for myself. Also i love being in the high mountains, and the mountain ranges of Kirghistan and Tajikistan have always been on my mind as a must visit. Last one was because it is still a challenge to get here. I do like a challenge, that is why i choose to go with my old car. So far so good, i'm in Russia now on the verge of going into Kazachstan and then finally Kirghistan, Tajikistan and hopefully, if i can arrange a shared 4X4, Afghanistan.

That's it! Happy to be part of the community now, i'll upload my first embassy report soon!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:57 am

Cool, bedankt voor de introductie, Arnoud! Excellent reasons for travel. A shared 4x4 to Afghanistan will be tricky, but who knows, maybe you're lucky...What kind of car are you driving?
0 x

Alharris

Postby Alharris » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:57 pm

We are in the Mongol Rally. We are wanting to cross from Kazakhstan into Russia , either at Semey or Shamonaika. We want to know if the border is open on the weekend August 15-16, 2015.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:56 pm

Hi Alharris, it should be open. Good luck with the Rally!
0 x

deorcregnboga

Postby deorcregnboga » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:02 pm

Hi, my name is Cobus, Indonesian passport holder. I will start my solo journey in Beijing then try to visit Stan-countries as much as I can, since my limitation are budget and knowledge. Mostly my trip will be by land, using hitchhiking, camping and walking so I think I don't expect much (but I really excited :D )
I found this site is helpful and it's kinda summary if you search modern-silk-road-related in search engine.
So thank you for this site and forum. Believe me or not, you encourage me many time.

Cheers!
Cobus
0 x

Roads of Adventure

Postby Roads of Adventure » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:54 pm

Bedankt Steven!

So far i have been driving a BMW 316i from 1990. It's been a pleasure, but some roads are more difficult then others. I do not know if i can go on any longer now, because i have been involved in a car accident in Kobda, Kazachstan. It's really in the middle of nowhere. I did have insurence but it is a big hassle to repair the car. I do not know if i get it back fully repaired, because the guy that drove into my car was to poor to fully fix it. But we'll see, at least i'm still in 1 piece ;) and it's an interesting story to tell. I've been living the rural kazach life for most part of this week, and it's very different then what your used to back home.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:11 am

@Cobus: Thanks for the compliment! We don't get many Indonesian travelers yet, so I am eager to hear your thoughts on the region, how they might be different from the average Western traveler.

@Roads of Adventure: I had a look where Kobda is...yes, that's an interesting place to get stranded! Very few people actually get to experience rural Kazakh life as they drive from city to city, but I agree it is fascinating, if not always easy, and very different from what people have come to expect from Kazakhstan. Is it in any way beautiful there, or rather a dusty steppe town?
0 x

Susy&Georges

Postby Susy&Georges » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:02 pm

Hello!
Happy to be part of Caravanistan.com! We are a family travelling since 10 months now, from France to Mongolia with our van. Then we will be backpacking through Asia, Oceania and South America. This website was very usefull as we've been driving on the Silk Road. It has been a long time dream to drive from Europe to Asia confronting ourselves to the myth of famous travellers.
we also have a website www.allersimple.eu and we would be happy to share our experience as we have learnt a lot from other feedbacks.
0 x
www.allersimple.eu our travel blog

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:39 am

Merci pour l'introduction, Susy&Georges! It's nice to see more and more travelers with babies on the Silk Road. I have just recently met an Israeli baby of just 4 months old - wonderful! I would like to write an article about Silk Road with kids (all my friends are turning pregnant), but I have no experience myself. What do you think are the main points to consider, or things you find easy/difficult traveling with a young child in the region?
0 x

Return to “Itineraries & trip reports”