Driving around north side Caspian Sea

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
Toekan

Driving around north side Caspian Sea

Post by Toekan »

Hi,

I'm planning to drive from Europe to the Pamir highway and back this spring/summer. Considering the uncertainty of getting a Turkmeni visa, we were thinking of driving around the Caspian Sea from Iran to Uzbekistan. Tehran to Nukus (Uzb) through Azerbaijan/Georgia/Russia/Kazackstan is around 3200 km, only 1500 km more than going through Turkmenistan. Not ideal, but also not a total blow to our plans. Unfortunately it seems that not only Chechenia, but also Dagestan is considered very unsafe? Does anyone have any experience with the Russian part of the Caspian coast?

Also, to have this as a back-up plan, we would need multiple entry Russian visas. (To also get back from the stans to Europe through Russia) Is it any problem if you don't use the first of your initially stated entry plans? In case we take a multiple entry visa for Russia but later do obtain a Turkmenistan visa.

Thanks!
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Driving around north side Caspian Sea

Post by steven »

I haven't heard of tourists getting killed in Chechnya or Dagestan. There is police harassment. There are also sometimes terrorist attacks. I would say about a similar amount as in Paris.

Besides the police, I have only heard good things from the region and am eager to go and have a look myself.

Not using your visa or part of it is not a problem.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Toekan

Post by Toekan »

Thanks! How bad do I have to imagine the police harassment? Not really interested in being forced hundreds of dollars in bribes of me. :)
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

AFAIK it is mostly questioning. They assume you are a spy.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Wahlsted

Post by Wahlsted »

Regarding Russian double entry transit visa; you can only get maximum one month from first entry to last exit. Perhaps an issue if you are driving around?
0 x

Forest

Post by Forest »

steven wrote:AFAIK it is mostly questioning. They assume you are a spy.
interesting subject as I ve been looking at possibilities to go from Kyrgyzstan to finally EU/Italy.
but all the info I found about southern Russia areas/Georgia border weren t very conforting
:roll:
0 x