One-month cycling trip in Kyrgyzstan

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
Gerard Castellà

One-month cycling trip in Kyrgyzstan

Post by Gerard Castellà »

Hello,

I plan to do a one-month cycling trip in Kyrgyzstan, being Bishkek the starting and final point of the route. I will start on July 14th, and will carry a tent and a stove.

I started compiling information and reading blogs about cycling in Kyrgyzstan in order to set a possible route, so here is the draft I did: https://goo.gl/maps/gifQv .

What do you think? Any recommendations?

As for me, I have travelled by bicycle in South America, Africa, Europe and Indian Himalayas.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Gerard
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: One-month cycling trip in Kyrgyzstan

Post by steven »

I am not a cyclist, but this route seems to follow an extended version of the route of the tour operators, so a good choice I think. This looks very enjoyable.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Txirugor

Post by Txirugor »

Hello,

Two years ago they were working on the road from Biskhek to Balichky. There is a highway and the old road. There was a lot of traffic in the north side of the lake Issyk Kul; it was dangerous to go by bike (similar to India); villages with many tourists.
The south part of the lake was quieter, with less traffic and less villages.
It's worth going to Song-kul lake. We didn't go because of the weather, but people who went by bike told us that although the road was unpaved, rough, at the top the scenary was very beautiful.

Good trip

Txiru
0 x

Gerard Castellà

Thanks for your information, Txirugor. I've also heard the North side of Yssyk Kul lake is not the most idyllic cycling region of the country.
Now I'm more concerned about cycling south near Torugart Pass, in At-Bashy mountains, and the 'border permit' you're supposed to have.
What it's not clear for me yet is if that permit is still required to follow the road north from Chatyr Kol crossing Bash-Kaiyindy, Birinchi May dir. Bosongo. As far as I know, alpinists and hikers do need that permit; however, I'm doubtful a passing vehicle also requires that. Any idea?

Just waiting to get an ITMB map from Kyrgyzstan soon...
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I am not quite sure about the border permit and would also like to know. If you find out, please let us know here too. Thank you!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Gerard Castellà

Thanks for your insights, guys.

I am now awaiting some news about the extension of the free 30-day visa in Kazakhstan running from July 15, 2014 to July, 15 2015 for EU countries (Spain, in my case), as another idea I was considering consisted of cycling from Bishkek to Almaty, then to Charyn Canyon NP and re-entering Kyrgyzstan through Karkaea Valley -hopefully open by July, 20 approx. Then cycle south-east dir. Jalal-Abad, visiting Song-Kul lake, Nayin, Baetov, Kazarman... More or less, something like this: https://goo.gl/maps/bu0Ah
0 x

yaaradror

Post by yaaradror »

Hey! we are a couple heading for a month touring in Kyrgyzstan this October, and we wanted to know if you managed to do one of your plans and how was it?!?
Look amazing, and similar to what we are planning...
0 x