motorcycle trip Kyrgyzstan and Tadjikistan

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
davevanklaveren

motorcycle trip Kyrgyzstan and Tadjikistan

Postby davevanklaveren » Thu May 18, 2017 5:08 pm

We are riding on motorcycles from Europe. Going through Kyrgyzstan from Bishkek/osh/Sary Tash into Tadjikistan (Pamir Hwy). Then back through Dushanbe via Karamyk/Irgital border crossing into Kyrgyzstan. Looks like Karamyk/Irgital border crossing is closed to foreigners from the information I read.
Other option is Dushanbe/khujand to Osh. Can we do this without crossing into the Uzbek enclaves? All maps that I have seen show roads crossing into
Uzbekistan at some point. Also heard that there is a newer road which stays on the Kyrgyzstan side of the border, but can't find it on-line.
Any other suggestions for returning to Kyrgyzstan from Tajikistan?

Thanks,

Dave
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: motorcycle trip Kyrgyzstan and Tadjikistan

Postby bwv812 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:30 am

It has always been possible to avoid the enclaves, though most public transit did not do so in the past. However, in the last year or so the roads in the area have been improved and it now appears that even public transport avoids the enclaves. As a self driver you should have no problem. A quick search on the forum will find a few more detailed posts on this.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: http://www.silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

davevanklaveren

Re: motorcycle trip Kyrgyzstan and Tadjikistan

Postby davevanklaveren » Fri May 19, 2017 4:18 am

thanks, appreciate you getting back to me.
0 x