Safety in Eastern Turkey right now - crossing to Iran

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
suricat

Re: Safety in Eastern Turkey right now - crossing to Iran

Postby suricat » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:48 pm

Are there any recent updates on the border from Iran (Bazargan) to Turkey (Gurbulak)? We have plan to cross in next few days.
0 x

dmottram

Postby dmottram » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:37 am

I am just doing some preliminary research on the Iran/Turkey borders prior to a trip there in 2017 (I know it may well change). We will be travelling from Iran into Turkey and the Bazargan crossing seems to be the most logical for our needs. We are travelling from Australia to the UK via the Silk Road in a few old cars.

Has anybody recently crossed at this border?

David
0 x

Yann Cano

Postby Yann Cano » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:16 am

Hi all.

My post is... Half for cyclist, half for safety concerns.

I decided not to cross the border from Turkey to Iran and took the long way through Georgia and Armenia.

It is safe... :-)

But the way is almost 1000km longer, and the passes are always higher than 2000m, with some over 2500m. The winter time, as a cyclist, was probably not the safest choice. You may risk some frozen bites or to get stocked in the snow. I spent one night at -25 degrees outside, the wind was extremely strong at every single pass, so you can imagine that it was not so "safe"... Not only the PKK issue should be considered in the winter time I think.

Also, the main road (M2) of Armenia was closed for a few days because there was too much snow.

It is already a great memory because some great Armenian people helped me a lot ! But... It was a great warning against "real cold".

One more detail... In Georgia and Armenia, the first week of the year is holidays. No restaurant, no hotels, no warm places, ... Very hard to find some food and accommodations !
1 x

Nikopol

Re: Safety of the cross border Turkey-Iran of Gürbulak-Bazar

Postby Nikopol » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:28 pm

mariadecas wrote:Thanks Steven,

It seems that the train Ankara-Teheran has been suspended since August, due to the situation and attacks (2 bombs on the railway) :-(

I am starting my trip in Turkey on the 25th August and will update this when I have more information.

At the moment, it seems the safest option (in the new you attached says that Iran warned their citizens to avoid crossing the border by land, after some attacks) is crossing Iran trough Georgia and Armenia. A Turkish friend also adviced me not to go to the SouthEast of Turkey now :-(

If anyone is in that area (East Anatolia) I would appreciate some update.

Thank you !

Little late to the party, but I was actually on the last train on Tehran - Ankara way. It never finished and all passangers got stuck on the border checkpoint for 24 hours (at police station near railway) because Turks closed the railway and Iranians were convinced that ISIS is bombing iranian trains (traing going from Ankara to Tehran was bombed, fortunatelly with no casualties or injuries). The story still isnt completely clear (PKK accused turkish military of attaching army waggon on the train), but from what I saw

- forget about train, not happening for some time

- Kapikoy border crossing is now much more guarded. Only reason why I wasnt stuck there for half a day is because I was with Iranian who knew a guy who knew a guy, long story short he got us through without much of a waiting (like 1 hour or something). I saw multiple military convoys around the way when I was going from there to Van

- Bazragan should be still ok as Erzurum province has not seen major fight between PKK and turkish military.

I suspect the same in Esendere as Yuksekova and its surrounding have heavy PKK presence and were witness to bloody fights and ambushes in 2015.

Long story short - better take a plane.
1 x

Joanna Kaszewiak

Postby Joanna Kaszewiak » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:25 pm

January 2017 - Safe and quick
1 x

KaYe

Safe Border Crossing Turkey to Iran?

Postby KaYe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:25 am

Hi there

We are currently bicycling through Turkey and want to continue to Iran. But with the current tense situation in East Turkey shall we maybe better cycle via Georgia/Armenia to Iran ? Or is it still ok to cross any of the direct Turkey/Iran borders?

Thanks in advance!
Kind regards
KaYe
0 x

zafferano

Postby zafferano » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:55 am

Hey there, dont know if it still helps, but I crossed in July 2017 and it was no big deal, dont know about cycling, but should be no problem.
0 x

KaYe

Postby KaYe » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Excellent, thank you Zafferano! Good to get an recent feedback/report.
0 x

imdumas

Turkish Kurdistan, safe to travel??

Postby imdumas » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:21 pm

Hello everybody!

I was planning to visit the Turkish Kurdistan. But first I would like to have some recent information about the safety there.

I would like to visit Mardin, Gaziantep and Sanliurfa.

Thank you advance!
Big hugs!!
0 x