Ishkashim border crossing: open or closed?

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
VTrembleySF

Re: Ishkashim border crossing: open or closed?

Postby VTrembleySF » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:03 am

I saw the past post was some time ago on this subject but wondering if anyone might know if the Ishkashim border safe to cross currently? Was planning on going in early January - is the Saturday bazar still open in the winter? Can you still cross with a Tajik visa if they hold your passports?
0 x

MattUK

Re: Ishkashim border crossing: open or closed?

Postby MattUK » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:24 pm

Recently back from Tajikistan. The soldiers at the nearby Tajik military post told us that the Afghan bazaar was due to reopen after Kurban Eid (i.e. 10/11th September 2017).

Regarding safety on the Afghan side, I didn't hear any reports of the insurgency since the May 2017 stuff in Zebak. I guess just bear in mind that you're heading into a country without a decent grip on its internal security. As ever though, your chances of being in a road accident are statistically far higher than getting caught up in terrorist incident. Hope that's comforting!
1 x