Uch Kurgan border crossing UZ-KG

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Uch Kurgan border crossing UZ-KG

Post by steven »

Please read and post reports on the Uchkurgan border crossing between Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan below.

We summarize all info on the Uzbekistan border crossings and Kyrgyzstan border crossings pages.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

magunkutjan

Uch Kurgan border crossing UZ-KG

Post by magunkutjan »

We crossed the Uch-Kurgan border on the 25th June. We cycled from Uzbekistan to Kyrgyzstan. The border is open between 8am and 8pm every day. The guards were nice on both sides. We had some questions where we slept, what did we see, but they didn't checked our registrations forms of the hotels. They checked the bags a bit as well. They were thorough but very polite and nice. On the kyrgyz side we spent only 10 minutes, just a stamp and they were checking if we needed a visa.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Border crossing from Kyrgyzstan to Uzbekistan

Post by steven »

thanks, I have also found Uch Kurgan pretty easy going when we visited in April.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I got the following e-mail:

just to say you the boarder cross of uch kogan in ouzbekistan is closed since 6 month and for i don t know the time, exatly it s the border cross kirgiz who are close so you can not cross by this way.

More information needed, but for now I marked it on the map as closed.
0 x

ab577ab577

Post by ab577ab577 »

steven wrote:I got the following e-mail:

just to say you the boarder cross of uch kogan in ouzbekistan is closed since 6 month and for i don t know the time, exatly it s the border cross kirgiz who are close so you can not cross by this way.

Hello all,

Does anyone have any more recent information or advice about the Uch-Kurgan crossing? A friend and I are hoping to travel (this September) from Uzbek into Kyrgystan at this crossing.

Many thanks.
0 x

Fede

Post by Fede »

We crossed the boarder at Uchkurgan some days ago (15th Nov 2017) It was no problem at all. On the kirgis side was a long quew, but being a foreigner they let us go first (which saved us 1-2 h). The stuff at the boarder was very kind. On the osbek side they checked our cellphone, i-pad etc which took half an hour. But they where always friendly, and at the end they helped us to catch a taxi at a good pice to Andejan.
ab577ab577 wrote:
steven wrote:I got the following e-mail:

Hello all,

Does anyone have any more recent information or advice about the Uch-Kurgan crossing? A friend and I are hoping to travel (this September) from Uzbek into Kyrgystan at this crossing.

Many thanks.
2 x

Silvio

Post by Silvio »

Hello travellers, Hello Caravanistan

Today we tried to cross the border from Kyrgyzstan to Uzbekistan. We wanted to use the border Uch-Kurgan (on the main road between Dostuk and Kyrgyskorgon on kyrgys side)... But it was closed. The road, which we thought is the border, was blocked by stones and fences. Maybe we didnt find the real bordercrossing. But we were looking around and also asked some border guards. Some pointed the direction of the place where we have been; others send us to Osh.

After that we tried the Izboskan border (between Byurgendyu on kyrgys side and Izboskan on uzbek side). And this one was open; but only for walking ... not for cars.
The crossing was very easy and fast. We have been the only tourists. All other people seemed to be people from the villages around. They didnt really check our luggage ... just a small look in the big backpack from above.
On the other side a lot of people tried to organise a taxi for us. It was a bit hard to find a calm minute to think about what doing next and to plan. Finally we took a shared taxi (or minibus?) to Andijan for 1,5$ per person. (We have been two persons)

Just another word how we got to the border on kyrgys side. Also if it is not important for most travellers.
We have been quite fortunate. We met a nice dutch couple in Arslanbob the day before. They also wanted to cross the border at Uch-Kurgan. And they had a car. Therefore we were very lucky to join them. That saved us a lot of time to get to the border. Therefore we easily get to the Uch-Kurgan border and could drive around and search for the border easily. Unfortunately as I said I think the border was closed. We also easily get to the Andijan border with the car. Me and my friend have been lucky, because we could cross the border there by foot. The dutch couple on the other side had to go the whole way to Osh to cross the border there, because of the car. This was very sad.

To the dutch couple: (because we didnt exchange numbers, whatsapp, ...)
If you read that, you can take a look into facebook for my profile for "Silvio Fedgenhäuer". We would like to know how your day finally was. It would be nice to hear from you.
3 x

robert

Post by robert »

We asked several local people if the Uchkurgan border was open, but everybody said it's closed. We didn't check that ourselves.
1 x

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Hi, we tried to cross the Uchkurgon border from Kyrgyzstan to Uzbekistan yesterday and we can confirm it is closed; it seems closed for a long time because the road is already taken over by vegetation and a fence is blocking the way.

As we were there by car we could also not use the Andijan border because it is for pedestrians only.

The border crossing at Dzjalal-Abad was also closed, although it seemed to be open sometimes but not at the moment.

We had to drive all the way to Osh to cross the border by car. A detour of approx. 300km. There we could cross the border easily. Even with priority because we are European tourists (which was a bit embarrassing to be honest).
2 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

All posts regarding the Izboskan border which has replaced the Uchkurgan border as the main border in this area are found at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10006
0 x