Arshaty-Olgii border crossing?

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
joschi03

Arshaty-Olgii border crossing?

Post by joschi03 »

Hello
We're on the road with our motorcycle and I've heard of some people that it is possible to go from Arshaty (Kazakhstan) to Ölgii (Mongolia) directly: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kormypnzpm7s ... 4.png?dl=0

I'm not sure whether this is really possible and if there are border controls? Does anybody know something about it?

If so, do we need a special permit?

Thanks a lot for any information!
Janosch
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Kazakhstan/Russia/Mongolia border crossings

Post by bwv812 »

0 x

fitfortyandretired

Post by fitfortyandretired »

Hi Janosh!

It's Sam the Korean man from the Caspian Sea Ferry! I did some research and found that the border crossing between Arshaty to Russia is a bilateral crossing, meaning it can only be done by Kazakhs and Russians only. Further on from Russia to Mongolia to Olgii is an international border, so you can cross to Mongolia from Russia.

It looks like I may have to cycle from Ust-Kamenorgorsk (Kazakhstan) to Rubstovsk in Russia to get to Mongolia. A long detour!

Let me know if you find any other info on your peferred route!

Sam
0 x

joschi03

Post by joschi03 »

Hello sam
Thank you for sharing your research results. I've found similar things but I am still wondering how those 2 French guys made it last summer...
So I was hoping someone could have some more information about it. But as it looks now we also have to do the detour over Barnaul.

Best
Janosch
0 x

Brunoc38

Post by Brunoc38 »

Hei Janosh
Since May and your trip in this region, did you get more information if it is possible to cross the border anyway to join Arshaty to Olgii through the Pereval Pass between Kazakhstan and Russia?
Best regards
Bruno
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi Bruno,

that is not possible as per my info.

PS: Pereval is the Russian translation for pass. Whatever the name of that pass, it is not Pereval.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Brunoc38

Post by Brunoc38 »

Hi Steven.
Thanks for the answer. Pereval is the name I found on Google maps, but probably it is not the good name :-)
0 x

Klaus Steupert

Kasachstan-Russia-Mongolia border Crossing

Post by Klaus Steupert »

Hello

I'm will go bay bike from Kasachstan to Ulan Bator and I've heard of some people that it is possible to go from Arshaty (Kazakhstan) through Russia to Ölgii (Mongolia). That is the shortest way but I'm not sure whether this is really possible and if there are border controls? Does anybody know something about it?

If so, do I need a special permit?

Thanks a lot for any information!

Klaus
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Kasachstan-Russia-Mongolia border Crossing

Post by steven »

Hi Klaus,

that's not possible.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Klaus Steupert

Re: Arshaty-Olgii border crossing?

Post by Klaus Steupert »

Hi Steven.
Thanks for the realy quick answer!

And if I fly from Almaty to Irkutsk and take than the way to the West the A 333 to Mondy (Russia) an than to Khankh at the Khovsgol-Lake (Mongolei)?
Is the border open there?

Best regards
Klaus
0 x