A number of sports shops exist in Almaty, selling tents, sleeping bags and other items of use for the outdoor enthusiast. Try any of the following.
Outdoor shops in Almaty
- Megasport Makataev 84, corner with Furmanov street. Sells sport clothing, sport shoes, ski. Does not sell tents.
- Limpopo Seifullin 534, corner with Kurmangazy str. Specializes in camping gear, ski gear, snowboards, bikes, hiking gear, sport clothing and sport shoes.
- Dinamo Kunaev 83, corner with Kazybek Bi str. Expect a good range of tents and sleeping bags, skis, snowboard, bikes, hiking gear, sport clothing, sport shoes. Prices are a bit higher here than with others.
- Biwec Dostyk 99, on the corner with Khadzhi-Mukan street. Biwec sells sports gear in all Extremal shops, including tents, bicycles, ski gear and sports clothing.
- ProSport Gogol 87, corner with Baiseitova str. in front of “Ubileiniy” Supermarket. Sells snowboard, bikes, skate, hiking gear, sport clothing, sport shoes, optics and camping gear.
- SportMaster Bogenbai Batyr 89 A, corner with Dostyk ave. Part of big russian chain., SportMaster sports a similar range as the others: ski and snowboards, bikes, skate, hiking gear, sport clothing, sport shoes, optics, balls.
If you are looking to go fishing, try any of the following shops.
Buy and rent fishing gear
Extremal rents out fishing gear. They have 8 shops around town, so there should be one near you. Asia Extreme, at Satpayev 5A, on the corner with Nauryzbai Batyr does the same. A good shop for fishing, hunting and camping is Mergen. Their shop is on Kaldayakov 34/29, on the corner with Aiteke Bi street. They don’t rent out fishing gear, instead they only sell.
Rent a tent
If you do not want to buy a tent, but simply rent one, you can get one from Extremal for as little as 1000 tenge per day.