Not complicated two-day hike in Jungar Alatau with elevation change along the route from 2000 to 2700 meters above sea level. During this tour you will be able to see Burhan Bulak waterfall, which is considered to be the highest waterfall in Central Asia.
Route: Almaty Region (Kazakhstan
Complexity: Easy trekking
Height Difference: 2000-2700 m.a.s.l.
Day 1. Almaty – Taldykorgan – Taubulak
Departure from Almaty at 07:00. Arrival to Taldykorgan at 10:00. Visit to local history museum of Almaty region, lunch. Transfer to Taubulak eco-camping (132 km, of which 61 km is in mountainous terrain). During the 6-hour trip there are expected 2-3 stops (10-15 minutes) near the unique places of Jungar Alatau. Arrival to Taubulak eco-camping at 17:00. Accommodation and rest. Dinner, free time and preparation to trekking. Overnight in Taubulak eco-camping.
Mountains of Jungar Alatau serve as a natural border with China and have a length of 400 km. One of the most picturesque gorges of Zhetisu – Kora Gorge lies in these mountains and stretches for 90 km. At the bottom of the gorge Kora River is flowing, which is born high in the mountains, in a kingdom of age-old glaciers. In winter and early spring waters of the river is calm and transparent, but when the snow covering the mountain slopes begin to melt away, the river becomes turbulent and rigorous and easily rolls over the huge boulders and breaks like a match the age-old trees. The road, winding along the river, accessible for good cross-country vehicles only and delivers a lot of emotions to all those who dare to go through it. Around, as far as the eye can see, the forests are. Spruce and fir alternates with a lacy greenery of birch trees, and meadows are covered with colorful flower carpet. The road goes higher and the nature becomes more severe: gay birches give way to high mountain plateaus, and dozens of large and small waterfalls rush down from the majestic rocky peaks. Inaccessibility of this area as a border zone for decades helped to keep here a brown bear, deer, mountain goat, as well as the wolf, fox and the hare, which are quite frequent met by travelers. The clear mountain streams originating from glaciers are inhabited by Osman fish.
Day 2. Taubulak – Burhan Bulak Gorge – Trilsai Gorge
Early wake-up and breakfast. Leaving the base and trekking to Burhan Bulak Gorge, visit the top tier of the waterfall.
Burhan Bulak waterfall, the highest in Central Asia, situated at an altitude of 2000 meters above sea level. The height of its three tiers is 112 meters. Tons of ice-cold water falls down as a noisy stream, irrigating all around with millions of spray. In clear streams on the background of reddish rocks covered with emerald moss, the sun is playing with its rays. Dozens of colorful rainbows complement the fascinating picture painted by the great artist – Nature. And when winter comes the waterfall fades in its icy garment. But to see the true nature of the Burhan-Bulak Waterfall you need to come in July, when there is a maximum volume of water. Water rushes down as a huge stream, hiding ledges.
Coming to the upper reaches of the stream at Karatau ridge, descent to the lake in Trilsai Gorge. Setting a camp. Dinner around the campfire. Overnight in tents near the lake.
Walking distance in this day approx. 13 km
Day 3. Trilsai Gorge – Tentekbulak Gorge – Kora Gorge – Taubulak
Early wake-up, breakfast and disassembling of the camp. Trekking on Karatau Ridge, pass to Tentekbulak Gorge, descent to Kora Gorge. Return to Taubulak base. Rest and preparation to departure to Almaty. Overnight in Taubulak eco-camping.
Walking distance in this day approx. 14 km
Day 4. Taubulak – Taldykorgan – Almaty
Breakfast. Departure from Taubulak at 09:00. Lunch on the way in Taldykorgan. Arrival to Almaty approx. at 20:00.
Total automobile mileage in this day approx. 380 km
Tour Price Per Person: 725 USD, provided 2 persons traveling together
Group discounts available
Tour Price INCLUSIONS:
- 1. Transportation according to the program in comfortable off-road vehicles
- 2. Sightseeing according to the program
- 3. Accommodation at Taubulak eco-camping in yurts or tents (wooden floor, beds, furnace)
- 4. Meals: Lunch and Dinner on Day 1, Full Board on Days 2-3, Breakfast and Lunch on Day 4
- 5. Instructor (guide) service during trekking
- 6. Environmental and entry fees, pass to the border zone
- 7. Camping equipment for common use (cooking utensils, rope)
- 8. Medical insurance
Tour Price EXCLUSIONS:
- 1. Accommodation in Almaty before/after the tour, if required
- 2. Meals not indicated in the program and/or not included into the tour price
- 3. Rent of personal camping outfit (tent, sleeping bag, сaremat, personal utensils, etc.)
- 4. Visa support and registration on the territory of Kazakhstan, if required
- 5. Personal expenses and other expenses not indicated in the program
RECOMMENDATIONS on clothing and equipment:
- 1. Waterproof membrane Gore-Tex jacket and pants
- 2. Warm fleece jacket or Polartec jacket, windproof jacket, warm hat and gloves
- 3. Several sets of underwear, thermal underwear set, several pairs of socks and a pair of warm socks
- 4. Several T-shirts with short sleeves, shorts, cap
- 5. Appropriate hiking boots, overshoes against snow, shoes for camp (lightweight sneakers)
- 6. Head torch with adjustable brightness and beam distance, several sets of batteries
- 7. Thermos for 1-1.5 liters, or other water container
- 8. Personal hygiene items, personal first aid kit, sunglasses and sunscreen, anti acarid remedy
- 9. Tent, sleeping bag, caremat, utensils for personal use, backpack (not smaller than 80L volume), trekking poles, helmet, crampons, ice ax, descender device, 4 carbines.