Route: Almaty region (Kazakhstan)
Complexity: Average complexity trekking
Height Difference: 2000-3300 m.a.s.l.
Day 1. Almaty – Taldykorgan – Taubulak
Departure from Almaty at 07:00. Arrival to Taldykorgan at 10:00. Visit to local history museum of Almaty region, lunch. Transfer to Taubulak eco-camping (132 km, of which 61 km is in mountainous terrain). During the 6-hour trip there are expected 2-3 stops (10-15 minutes) near the unique places of Jungar Alatau. Arrival to Taubulak eco-camping at 17:00. Accommodation and rest. Dinner, free time and preparation to trekking. Overnight in Taubulak eco-camping.
Mountains of Jungar Alatau serve as a natural border with China and have a length of 400 km. One of the most picturesque gorges of Zhetisu – Kora Gorge lies in these mountains and stretches for 90 km. At the bottom of the gorge Kora River is flowing, which is born high in the mountains, in a kingdom of age-old glaciers. In winter and early spring waters of the river is calm and transparent, but when the snow covering the mountain slopes begin to melt away, the river becomes turbulent and rigorous and easily rolls over the huge boulders and breaks like a match the age-old trees. The road, winding along the river, accessible for good cross-country vehicles only and delivers a lot of emotions to all those who dare to go through it. Around, as far as the eye can see, the forests are. Spruce and fir alternates with a lacy greenery of birch trees, and meadows are covered with colorful flower carpet. The road goes higher and the nature becomes more severe: gay birches give way to high mountain plateaus, and dozens of large and small waterfalls rush down from the majestic rocky peaks. Inaccessibility of this area as a border zone for decades helped to keep here a brown bear, deer, mountain goat, as well as the wolf, fox and the hare, which are quite frequent met by travelers. The clear mountain streams originating from glaciers are inhabited by Osman fish.
Day 2. Taubulak – Saldyrtas Gorge – Saldyrtas Glacier
Early wake-up and breakfast. Leaving the base and trekking through Kora gorge. Crossing Kora river and climbing the gorge to Saldyrtas river and further to Saldyrtas glacier. Setting up the camp. Dinner and overnight in a tent camp near the glacier.
Walking distance in this day approx. 10 km
Day 3. Saldyrtas Glacier – Tyuite Pass – Tekeshbulak Gorge
Early wake up, then breakfast and disassembling of the camp. Climbing on Tyuite pass. At the bottom part the pass slope is talus, its length doesn’t exceed 200 meters. Next – is glacier. If it is “open”, small cracks can be avoided, and if the glacier is “closed”, the movement must be in tandem. In the beginning, the glacier is flat, the slope doesn’t exceed 10 degrees, in 30 minutes the steepness increases to 30 degrees in average, then the slope flattens out and the pass opens. Tyuite pass is extraordinarily beautiful. From the opposite side there is a view of one of the tributaries of Chizh river and, of course, magnificent moraine lakes. Next – descent into Tekeshbulak gorge. The descent from Tyuite pass till moraine rubble carries out in crampons and in tandem on snow-ice slope, then medium and large stones alternate with snowfields. Trekking is recommended in a tight group, or one by one, as there are many live stones, which are constantly slip out from under the feet. Having passed Tyuite glacier, choose a place for overnight. Setting a camp. Dinner and overnight in tents.
Walking distance in this day approx. 7 km
Day 4. Tekeshbulak Gorge – Kora Gorge – Taubulak
Early wake-up, then breakfast and disassembling of the camp. Visit to moraine lakes in the upper reaches of Tekeshbulak gorge. Not far from our overnight place there are two beautiful lakes, one of which is located directly under Tyuite glacier and differs by unusually cold water. However, this cold lake is compensated by picturesque countryside: bright yellow flowers, lush green islands on the lake and icy arms of Tyuite glacier. Faded stones and soft contours of the mountains, reflecting in transparent water, emphasize the overall charm of the place. The second lake is located north, and from it Tyuyte (Tekeshibulak) river originates, along which we will descend into Kora gorge. Return to Taubulak base. Rest and preparation for departure to Almaty. Overnight in Taubulak eco-camp.
Walking distance in this day approx. 14 km
Day 5. Taubulak – Taldykorgan – Almaty
Breakfast. Departure from Taubulak at 09:00. Lunch on the way in Taldykorgan. Arrival to Almaty approx. at 20:00.
Total automobile mileage in this day approx. 380 km.
Tour Price Per Person: 855 USD, provided 2 persons traveling together
Group discounts available
Tour Price INCLUSIONS:
- 1. Transportation according to the program in comfortable off-road vehicles
- 2. Sightseeing according to the program
- 3. Accommodation at Taubulak eco-camping in yurts or tents (wooden floor, beds, furnace)
- 4. Meals: Lunch and Dinner on Day 1, Full Board on Days 2-7, Breakfast and Lunch on Day 8
- 5. Environmental and entry fees, pass to the border zone
- 6. Camping equipment for common use (cooking utensils, rope)
- 7. Medical insurance
- 8. Instructor (guide) service during trekking
Tour Price EXCLUSIONS:
- 1. Accommodation in Almaty before/after the tour, if required
- 2. Meals not indicated in the program and/or not included into the tour price
- 3. Rent of personal camping outfit (tent, sleeping bag, сaremat, personal utensils, etc.)
- 4. Visa support and registration on the territory of Kazakhstan, if required
- 5. Personal expenses and other expenses not indicated in the program
RECOMMENDATIONS on clothing and equipment:
- 1. Waterproof membrane Gore-Tex jacket and pants
- 2. Warm fleece jacket or Polartec jacket, windproof jacket, warm hat and gloves
- 3. Several sets of underwear, thermal underwear set, several pairs of socks and a pair of warm socks
- 4. Several T-shirts with short sleeves, shorts, cap
- 5. Appropriate hiking boots, overshoes against snow, shoes for camp (lightweight sneakers)
- 6. Head torch with adjustable brightness and beam distance, several sets of batteries
- 7. Thermos for 1-1.5 liters, or other water container
- 8. Personal hygiene items, personal first aid kit, sunglasses and sunscreen, anti acarid remedy
- 9. Tent, sleeping bag, caremat, utensils for personal use, backpack (not smaller than 80L volume), trekking poles, helmet, crampons, ice ax, descender device, 4 carbines.