International trains in 2024

The Silk Road by train. Experts: Milad, Provodnik
Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

International trains in 2024

Post by Milad »

Seasoned train travelers may know that mid-December means international timetable change, which is approaching. I've just come across a good article summarizing the state of international passenger trains in the former Soviet Union and the scheduled trains for 2024 (in Russian): https://tr.ru/articles/5162-mezhdunarod ... oni-poedut

Some interesting things and changes:

- still NO trains Moscow <-> Central Asia in 2024 due to major construction works in/around Moscow. There is a number of trains to Kazakhstan, Kyrgyztan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan (but not Turkmenistan) from cities like Volgograd, Samara, Saratov, Ufa, Omsk, ... (which are of course connected to Moscow).
- train Tashkent - Bishkek - Balykchy (train station "Rybach'e") set to resume - I think this train did not run since 2019
- there is a train Dushanbe - Khujand back in the schedule, going the long way around the mountains via Uzbekistan (I think this used to exist until around 2017) - but it's marked "по указанию", meaning it may not run at all, maybe it does so in the high season
- there is a new train Samarkand - Astana (it seems that the train station has not yet got it's old name back, so officially "Nur-Sultan")
- the train Baku - Tbilisi is in the schedule (of course it won't run as long as the Azeri border is practically closed - but this means they intend to run the train if it opens)
- there is a list of "possible reinstatements" of trains if demand permits during 2024, such as Tashkent - Astrakhan (unlikely, but there is a train Tashkent - Volgograd stopping in the town Aksaraiskaia not far from Astrakhan), Baku - Astrakhan (very unlikely) and Moscow - Riga (nearly impossible)
- Reinstating direct trains Russia <-> China "not a priority"
4 x

sebhoff

Re: International trains in 2024

Post by sebhoff »

Great stuff - many thanks for summarising this!
Dushanbe - Khujand would be wonderful indeed, as would be Tashkent - Bishkek. And I'm still eagerly awaiting the opening of the Baku - Tbilisi - Kars line for passenger traffic (the necessary trains have been collecting dust in Azerbaijan since well before the pandemic). I guess this won't happen for a while...
Just bought an amazingly cheap one-way flight from Germany to Osh for mid-March (74€ base price), and among other things, I am planning to explore some of the domestic Tajik lines from Dushanbe. After that, I'm planning to travel west - no idea how far I'll get. If only the Turkmen transit visa was reinstated...! Anyway - I'm digressing. ;-)
Thanks again!
0 x

sebhoff

Re: International trains in 2024

Post by sebhoff »

Interesting - the Belarusian train booking page currently lists a connection between Khujand and Dushanbe - running daily up until 23/11/23 (i.e. tomorrow): https://pass.rw.by/ru/route/?from=Худжа ... e=everyday
0 x