Buying train tickets Uzbekistan - Tajikistan

The Silk Road by train. Experts: Milad, Provodnik
Uzh

Buying train tickets Uzbekistan - Tajikistan

Post by Uzh »

I use the train from termez to dushanbe and from khujand to samarkand.

It was not possible to buy a railway ticket in the stations. The only way is to buy it online.

At the stations of tashkent pass and south, they simply denied the existence of this trains. In termez, they told me, that there are no free seats for both trains.

So i bought the train ticket online via uzbekistan railway homepage - the train to dushanbe was almost empty, the other one from khujand leaves with me in two days.

And - no surprise - i was the only one boarding the train in termez.
4 x

kostenetz

Re: Buying train tickets Uzbekistan - Tajikistan

Post by kostenetz »

I took the train Termez-Dushanbe last week. I had tried in various Uzbek stations to buy the ticket without success, but then tried the Samarkand booking office (the one downtown, not the station) and they sold me the ticket without any problem. Ride was fine, and smooth (though long) border procedures.
2 x

DavidMayor

Post by DavidMayor »

I took the train Dushanbe - Termez last week. Bought the tickets at the ticket office inside Dushanbe station (on the left),around 225 somoni one way.

Tajik border procedures take place before boarding the train in Dushanbe station.

Once in Uzbekistan very thorough luggage search. They also checked phone and laptop.

Other than this a very pleasant trip. I was the only passenger getting off the train in Termez.
2 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

Thanks a lot for the report, so it seems like Tajik Railways finally sells tickets to Uzbekistan.
The official price is about half of that though*, so you probably were short-changed or otherwise tricked by the cashier.

* fellow train geeks can check this with poezd.rw.by
1 x

emarosa

Post by emarosa »

Hi there, I took the train Dushanbe to Termez last weekend. Easy to buy tickets for platzkart the night before -- 215 somoni.
The train ride itself was good with friendly food-sharing passengers.

The real issue was the border crossing took two hours and involved a very comprehensive search of both bags and person -- including a thorough search of the clothes on my body. It appeared this was routine to the other Tajik and Russians on the train.
As a solo female traveler I was uncomfortable. I wouldn't recommend it.
0 x

MayaC

Post by MayaC »

i am trying to find a website that sells tickets online from Termez to Dushnabe. where did you buy your tickets online?
thank you :D
0 x

Marko52

Post by Marko52 »

I'm doing this trip in a few months and have the same question.
From my research so far, it looks like you can buy online from Russian Railways <https://pass.rzd.ru/main-pass/public/en> and <tutu.ru>. There's another site, too, <russiantrain.com>. So far as I can tell, all can sell valid tickets online, RZD at "official" price, tutu at around 20% premium, and russiantrain at around 50% premium. The big thing seems to be, you can't buy direct until 45 days or less in advance of travel, although one may be able to order a ticket before then. I hope that's of some help (noting that I myself haven't actually bought a ticket yet!)
1 x

Uzh

Post by Uzh »

You can buy it on the uzbekistan railway homepage, but I was not able to pay it with my mastercard. Simply didn't work.

So I bought it via an agent. (globalconnect.uz). Excellent service, sent me a email with a voucher within few days. You have to exchange the voucher at a train station. Was no problem. Of course, doing this way, you pay some dollars extra, but for me, this was the only possible way to get the ticket.
0 x