Need advice for trains between Moscow, Almaty, and Urumqi

The Silk Road by train. Experts: Milad, Provodnik
woshju

Need advice for trains between Moscow, Almaty, and Urumqi

Post by woshju »

Planning a trans-Siberian trip this winter, and was looking at trains from Moscow to Almaty (around Dec 16) and from Almaty to Urumqi (around Dec 21). Couldn't find much information that I'm sure is accurate, so I'd like to know where I can find accurate schedules for the trains (maybe someone could search for me in Russian)?

I'm pretty sure there isn't a direct train from Moscow to Almaty anymore, and the only booking site that comes up with a result when I put in the route is https://tutu.travel (with one transfer). Does anyone know if this site is reliable? Please recommend other sites where I could find schedules and book tickets, even if they're in Russian.

Almaty-Urumqi is even more confusing. Found this (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3625) post but not sure how accurate it is now. Tutu.travel says that there's a weekly direct train 013X from Almaty to Urumqi that takes 30 hours, but I've read elsewhere that there's more than that, with travel times of less than 24 hours? I'm struggling to find up-to-date information on this. Also had a look on ctrip but no luck there either.

Could anyone advise me on finding current schedules, and when/where to book tickets online. I've always used seat61.com for trains but it's not been too helpful this time - RealRussia.co.uk doesn't work for my routes.

Thanks in advance!
0 x