Buying train tickets in Uzbekistan

All about Uzbekistan.
lonelytraveller01

Re: Buying train tickets in Uzbekistan

Post by lonelytraveller01 »

Thanks! I did ended up buying the Uzbek train ticket in the Kazakh rail website, and it worked! Though a bit more expensive, but I secured the train ticket. Thanks a lot!
0 x

simongx

Post by simongx »

I just want to say that I followed the advice of RollingTreeHouse over the past couple of weeks, buying a total of four tickets (Nukus - Bukhara; Samarkand - Tashkent; Tashkent - Kokand; Kokand - Tashkent). I had no problem at all travelling on tickets issued by Belarusian Railways.

I also noticed that regularly, tickets for trains that are sold out become available again, presumably due to cancellations. I used the Uzbekistan Railways app to identify such tickets, and then the above-described process to buy them through Belarusian Railways. Because I planned my trip only a couple days in advance, this was crucial. Buying train tickets at stations may be romantic and old-style, but you stand much less of a chance of scoring a last-minute ticket.

TLDR: Thank you @RollingTreeHouse !
0 x

HolidayGolightly

Post by HolidayGolightly »

I just bought tickets on https://chipta.railway.uz on my mobile for an upcoming trip from Tashkent to Chiva because the popular routes tend to sell out...and i didnt fancy long bus rides to train stations. To be honest, it eas easier than buying a ticket in my EU home country. It hekps to read basic Cyrillic though as the English site switches to cyrillic. Bit of Google Translate, credit card processed via Stripe, had an e ticket sent to Telegram two seconds later, downloaded PDF, printed. Maybe lucky, maybe it got easier. Noticed the tickets on Samarkand - Bukhara - Khiva route do sell out
1 x

HolidayGolightly

PS If you are traveling in a country already where Russian is Linfua Franca just get someone in your guesthouse to help you. It really is easy provided you can read some Cyrillic, works with a Latin keyboard, really easy.
0 x

HolidayGolightly

Re: Are foreign credit cards accepted yet on Uzbek Train Site?

I paid with VISA easiest purchase ever
0 x

RollingTreeHouse

Re: Are foreign credit cards accepted yet on Uzbek Train Site?

Post by RollingTreeHouse »

I also managed to pay with a foreign Visa card on the "old" site, in case you have troubles with getting your card accepted, you very likely can buy your tickets somewhere else without resorting to an agency.
0 x

MaUji

Post by MaUji »

Just bought train tickets from Tashkent to Samarkand with a US issued Visa card on the official Uzbekistan Railways website without a hitch. Apparently they have fixed their old flaws. The whole process took me two minutes and was seemless.
0 x

Specialf

Post by Specialf »

Hi just jumping on to this topic to see if anyone can help please.

I’ve tried buying tickets for the fast train from Bukhara to Tashkent via the official Uzbekistan railways website. It’s showing that all of the fast trains are sold out on 30th September.

Can anyone tell me off this is definitely correct and whether spaces tend to open up?

Thanks
0 x

trikolka

Post by trikolka »

spring and autumn are good time to visit Samarqand and other cities in Uzbekistan, so the fast train "Afrosyab" is often full, espacially for week-ends. If you find a place in the standard trains ("Sharq" or other passenger train) , I would advice you take it. It will last up to 2 hours more than by fast train, but it's more comfortable than most bus or mashrutka.
0 x
http://blog.zamir.fr : Siberia, Caucasus, Kazakhstan
http://blog.khushomaded.fr : cycling Silk Road from Iran to Kyrgyzstan

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Spaces may become available if someone cancels their trip, I guess - but how likely this is, I have no idea. But the Sharq train at 16:08 (-> 22:32) is a decent option. There are currently 10 seats left.
Sebastian
0 x