Bukhara to Khiva or Nukus - no availability

The Silk Road by train. Experts: Milad, Provodnik
miguelsancha

Bukhara to Khiva or Nukus - no availability

Post by miguelsancha »

Well

I am getting frustrated about getting transport from Bukhara to Khiva in early november.

I see that if I select Samarkanda or Navoi as starting point they are already selling tickets. But if I select Bukhara, not yet. And are the same trains.

Woul i be okay if I buy it from Navoi, but i board in Bukhara...or i would have to travel from Bukhara to Navoi and take the train from there to Khiva.

Another thing, is it possible to book the whole compartment even if only 2 travel.?
0 x

sebhoff

Re: Bukhara to Khiva or Nukus - no availability

Post by sebhoff »

Yes, this has been an issue for the past few weeks, and nobody has found a reasonable explanation. Quoting myself from TripAdvisor (where you posted the same question), with the date adjusted:

"No - this is very likely not a good idea. There are security checks before you enter the railway station, and I don't know whether they will let you through if you haven't got a ticket from Bukhara. Also, I would think there is definitely a chance that your seats/beds will be resold by the provodnik - and you'll have no way to claim them *if* they let you on in Bukhara.

However, there *are* tickets that get released closer to your date of travel - at the moment, you can buy tickets as far in advance as the 10th of October. There are plenty of tickets available, although almost exclusively in platzkart. This is an interesting experience - it's basically time-travel back to Soviet times. So why not!?"
0 x

miguelsancha

Post by miguelsancha »

sebhoff wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:17 am
Yes, this has been an issue for the past few weeks, and nobody has found a reasonable explanation. Quoting myself from TripAdvisor (where you posted the same question), with the date adjusted:

"No - this is very likely not a good idea. There are security checks before you enter the railway station, and I don't know whether they will let you through if you haven't got a ticket from Bukhara. Also, I would think there is definitely a chance that your seats/beds will be resold by the provodnik - and you'll have no way to claim them *if* they let you on in Bukhara.

However, there *are* tickets that get released closer to your date of travel - at the moment, you can buy tickets as far in advance as the 10th of October. There are plenty of tickets available, although almost exclusively in platzkart. This is an interesting experience - it's basically time-travel back to Soviet times. So why not!?"

Well I would like to get 1st class but they will get sold by the time they start selling from Bukhara :(

If I got the ticket from Navoi..and a couple of days early at Bukhara train station I ask to board there you think they might reissue a new ticket with departure Bokhara? Even if I have to cancel the one from navoi..
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

I don’t know. If it works out the way you’re hoping it will, please report back.
The train with a first class carriage leaves Bukhara at an ungodly hour. I’d still think platzkart is the way to go - you might make new friends and have a completely different trip! 😉
0 x

miguelsancha

Post by miguelsancha »

sebhoff wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:43 pm
I don’t know. If it works out the way you’re hoping it will, please report back.
The train with a first class carriage leaves Bukhara at an ungodly hour. I’d still think platzkart is the way to go - you might make new friends and have a completely different trip! 😉

You are right :)
But I'm travelling with my parents and they need to rest 😅 we will have then 2 days in Khiva.

Now I'm thinking even to get a train back to Samarkanda, and catch the train from there..so the time is not ungodly (01:00) hehe
0 x

miguelsancha

Post by miguelsancha »

sebhoff wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:43 pm
I got this answer

0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Interesting! As I said before: If you do this, please let us know if it worked out in the end... ;)
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

And: Since you are only travelling in early November, why don't you change the order of cities? You could take the night train from Tashkent all the way to Khiva (or fly to Urgench if you find this takes too long) and then work your way back east. Train connections used to be better in this direction - but I haven't checked in detail recently...
0 x

miguelsancha

Re: Bukhara to Khiva or Nukus - no availabilit

Post by miguelsancha »

Thanks a lot for your help :)

In TripAdvisor people is going crazy with this Bukhara nonsense

I think they do it cuz of the taxi mob which want to bring tourists from Bukhara into Khiva and see train as a competence
0 x

miguelsancha

Post by miguelsancha »

Btw is it easy to sleep in PlatzKart wagon?

I would have 2 days in khiva..but I'm wondering if it is better to take the train that leaves Bukhara at 00:00 and arrives Khiva at 7am (this one comes from andijan so perhaps big delays?) In PlatzKart, or take the one that leaves at 04am and arrives at 10:30 in Khiva (1st class)

I would arrive on Saturday morning, and on Monday morning flight back from urg to TAS

I don't decide on which train to pick up
0 x