Bicycle Prices in Almaty/Bishkek?

Buses, trains, bicycles, thumbs, airplanes and that bloody ferry. Expert: Provodnik
stefanonoke

Bicycle Prices in Almaty/Bishkek?

Postby stefanonoke » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:39 pm

Hey there,
I'm planning on heading over to Tajikistan/Kyrgyzstan over the summer to tour the Pamir mountains by bicycle. This may be more of a general bicycle question, but I was wondering if I could nab myself a half decent used bike + parts in any of the main cities for a max budget of 200 USD. I saw forums in Russian for used bikes that exceeded 30k som, which I can't afford, and unfortunately I can't bring my personal bike all the way from New York to Almaty! Buying one would be the only option.
I thought about renting it, but I'm going to stop in Ishkashim for a month so I don't want to be paying for a month during which I won't use it. Is it possible to get a bike that is capable of holding up for two weeks along the Pamir Highway? Or would the route be too much for a used cheapo Chinese bike?

In addition, how hard would it be to sell a used cheapo Chinese bike in Dushanbe?

Thanks!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Bicycle Prices in Almaty/Bishkek?

Postby steven » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:28 am

That's a good question. Having used some of these Chinese bicycles, I would not use one of those things. Is it impossible? Of course not. But they are not great bicycles.

A Soviet bike with a bit of work would be a good alternative, but they are very difficult to find.

Another option would be to buy a good bike at Gergert Sport or a place like that, and then re-sell it 200$ cheaper, for instance to the guys running the bicycle rental shop in Dushanbe.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2515#p9236

Either way, there is little advice I can give regarding the success rate for any of these schemes. It all depends on your resourcefulness and a bit of luck as to what you end up with.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

HDN

Re: Bicycle Prices in Almaty/Bishkek?

Postby HDN » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Hello,

I will be selling 2 mountainbikes in Dushanbe (or Khorog) end of august (21/8-31/8).
Brand new, only used for the trip from Kyrgyzstan (Karakol) to Tajikistan.
See my other post for more information: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3146
0 x