Hitch hiking in central asia

Airplanes, buses, boats, feet, thumbs, ...
Herbrandt

Hitchhiking

Post by Herbrandt »

Anyone tried hitchhiking in Central Asia?

I was wondering whether it is a good means of travelling. I can imagine that, for example, in Kazakhstan there might be roads that are quite empty for most of the day. And what about safety? Any experiences? Or horror stories recommending not to do this?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Hitchhiking

Post by steven »

Lots of backpackers hitchhike. You can always find horror stories, up to you to decide what you will do with it. Definitely there are some empty roads...but people manage to do it, hitching across Kazakhstan in a few days for instance.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Celiou.g

Hitch hiking in central asia

Post by Celiou.g »

Hello travelers,
I will arrive Tadjikistan at the begining of July and the plan is to go back to Europe without flying. I'm already traveling since more than a year and my wallet start to be hungry so I try to save as much as i can. In this way i would like to know if any of you has experiment hitch hiking in those country ( taj, ouzb, kaz) ? It seems very expensive for transport in this part of the world, so i would appreciate any tips from you to reach my goal.
Thank you
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Hitch hiking in central asia

Post by bwv812 »

Very expensive transport? Tell me how much it costs to get around Europe or to get to Tajikistan.

You can hitchhike. People have done it. Everyone will stop for you. But it's not normal for people to give rides for free. And since you are a guest you might have people willing to give you a ride for free, even if it is not normal and even if they wouldn't give a local the same treatment.

People stop to pick up passengers to help pay for gas. Tajikistan is an extraordinarily poor country. Almost half of the country's GDP comes from working age men who go off to Russia to find work, leaving wives and families at home. They have a real GDP per capita of under $1,000. If you can't afford to pay what even the locals pay, I would stop to consider whether your presence there is helping or hurting.
1 x

Celiou.g

Post by Celiou.g »

I dont mind paying what they asking to help to pay for gas or whatever if its reasonnable compare to the cost of life in this extraordinarly poor country as you said... what i meant it's just on the informations i found, tourist transport are on high cost for single traveler as you have to hire a driver most of the time and it something i can't afford.
The question was more about if people use to stop or if its too unusual, if there is enough trafic for that... that it. I m not expecting to get anything for free i'm not so stupid and disrecpectful to the people...
Thanks for your answer anyway.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Most people take share taxis, which run between cities and towns and generally leave when full. They're not expensive. Lonely Planet and various parts of this site can give you a general idea of costs. Tourists who want to go where they want, when they want, are the ones hiring private cars & drivers.
0 x

Celiou.g

Post by Celiou.g »

Ok that's good to know i only saw costs for trains and private car, i couldnt see anything about share taxi, i will look further.
thank you
0 x