Buying train tickets in Uzbekistan

All about Uzbekistan.
Specialf

Re: Buying train tickets in Uzbekistan

Post by Specialf »

Thanks for your reply!

I’ve found a train on Chocotravel which departs at 1624 and arrives into Tashkent at 2016 (So just under four hours) however when I search for it on the official Uzbek rail site it doesn’t exist.

Will it be okay to book this train on the Chocotravel website or should I only book ones that show on the official Uzbek site please? This is departing Bukhara on 30th September and going to Tashkent.
Thanks!
0 x

Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Just to let you all know that the app is really good for both buying tickets and getting them refunded. Also for checking availability and times. It's actually better than similar apps back home in the UK...

I booked most of my train trips about a month in advance, particularly the night train as I wanted a compartment to myself. However, due to last minute border issues, I had to rebook a couple of trains only a week in advance. It was fine but you lack options and you may end up on a much slower train than ideal. It's really easy to cancel tickets on the app so I do think that train seats probably free up nearer the time: given uncertainty around the Samarkand conference, I know I booked seats on a couple of trains just in case and cancelled them last minute. I'm sure locals do the same thing.
0 x

Cwhight

Re: Uzbek Railways Website Q&A

Post by Cwhight »

Update from 2022

We travelled Margilan-Kokand-Tashkent-Samsrkand-Bhukara-Khiva. All trains booked here https://e-ticket.railway.uz/en/home - Google does a good job of translating the characters to latin. The site works well, there's also an app that seems to work well. You can login and it has all your tickets in one place. Payment worked with a UK Mastercard no problem (we use a Curve card to get no exchange fees)

All stations accepted e tickets, no need to print anything, just the ticket on your phone and your passport. Arrived 10/15 minutes before the train, never had a queue.

All in all really easy experience
2 x

evyamcs

Post by evyamcs »

Finally worked out how to use the Uzbek rail website, after several failed attempts.

- Tried the app, which is great for train info, but I couldn't login
- Tried the new website on my laptop using Chrome and Edge browsers, (https://chipta.railway.uz/en/home), but also couldn't login
- Tried the OLD website on my laptop on both browsers (https://eticket.railway.uz/lang-en/index.html), and could login, but STRIPE payment wouldn't work

- Finally tried the new website (https://chipta.railway.uz/en/home) on my phone using Chrome browser (not the app). I could login using the 'Login with Google' option. This also did work using STRIPE payment, but only when I manually type in the card details. Using Google pay didn't work.

Wow that was a faff.

Hope it helps.
0 x

GS1988

Uzbekistan Rail website not working - booking tickets through Agent

Post by GS1988 »

I tried to log into the website of the Uzbekistan rail service to purchase tickets in advance but it has not worked. I registered but then it says my password is wrong, and when I ask to reset it, I never receive the email. I have done this twice with two different email accounts. Are there local agents I can book train tickets with from abroad? Thank you.
0 x

dexteriteee

Re: Uzbekistan Rail website not working - booking tickets through Agent

Post by dexteriteee »

The Russian language version works ok if you have a handy translator app nearby.
0 x

HolidayGolightly

Re: Uzbekistan Rail website not working - booking tickets through Agent

Post by HolidayGolightly »

I can confirm it works. Just booked train tickets while in UZ 2 nights ago. Mobile website, absolutely smooth transaction, the fourth one in the last few weeks. Not a single hitch
0 x

HolidayGolightly

Post by HolidayGolightly »

Yes, Afrosiyob books weeks in advance. You might be lucky on slower trains. I booked a train two days ahead from Fergana to Tashkent, there were seats, even on the days you can book seats online sometimes. But Toshkent - Samarkand-Bukhara is a very popular route - not judt for tourists
0 x

michals

Post by michals »

All, if a train is sold out on the website - is there an option to purchase the ticket through an agent or maybe directly in the train? I see Samarkand-Tashkent fully sold out on the day I need to travel.
Thank you!
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

No. But how long is it until your day of travel? If it's still a long time, the train may not be open for sale yet at all (in this case the website may also falsely say "SOLD OUT" due to a mistranslation from Russian "MECT HET")
0 x