Aktau to Nukus by train

The Silk Road by train. Experts: Milad, Provodnik
leela

Aktau to Nukus by train

Post by leela »

Contrary to what I'd read up to now, googling today has turned up that there's a train 309X direct to Nukus, daily (good news) that takes 32 hours (bad news).
What I'd read before was that the train was 3 or 4 times a week and 23 hours and involved a change at Beyneu. Have I missed something?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Aktau to Nukus by train

Post by steven »

Hi leela,

sorry, seems like I missed this post. What was correct? If you still need this info, I can ask around.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Sprodicleson

Post by Sprodicleson »

I’m currently in Bukhara with train tickets to nukus. I asked whether it is possible to buy a ticket (in Samarkand) from Nukus to Aqtau. The answer was “only in Nukus “. Has anyone actually done this? What are the border proceedings? Is it one train across the border or two?
Thanks- Daniel
0 x

ejcraft

Post by ejcraft »

There is no direct train currently running to Aktau, you must change in Beyneu. Aktau-Beyneu runs frequently though, should be able to be arranged with a connection of a few hours max. Keep in mind that border control happens at Karakalpakia (UZ) and Beyneu (KZ), so allow at least an hour to clear immigration when organizing your trains.
0 x

Sprodicleson

Post by Sprodicleson »

Thanks ejcraft. Just what I wanted to know. There are daily trains Urgench-Nukus, so it all sounds pretty straight forward.
0 x

Sprodicleson

Post by Sprodicleson »

“Thanks ejcraft. Just what I wanted to know. There are daily trains Urgench-Nukus, so it all sounds pretty straight forward.”
No, this is wrong. Only two trains per week; Tuesday and Saturday Urgench-Nukus
0 x

ejcraft

Post by ejcraft »

Ah, I misread this as going from Nukus to Aktau, not the reverse. It’s true that there are not daily trains from Urgench/Nukus in this direction, though I’ve heard it’s possible to catch a daily overnight to/from Kungrad, about 90 minutes east of Nukus. But again, if your timing is right with that leg, it’s easy to pick up a train to/from Beyneu that connects with Aktau. Especially at this time of year, people from deeper in Kazakhstan are desperate to head to the sea.
0 x

leela

Post by leela »

steven wrote:Hi leela,

sorry, seems like I missed this post. What was correct? If you still need this info, I can ask around.
In the end, the friend I was meeting in Nukus didn't need to take that train, but joined me in Tashkent instead. So I never found out the outcome. Cheers though.
0 x

PatricioB

Post by PatricioB »

Hi all!

I just took this train. I was also told in Tashkent that tickets can only bought in Nukus and that the train only runs once a week. All not true!! The train station in Khiva happily issued me the tickets for the train and it runs daily. One can sleep in the Nukus train station, they let you in from about 9pm. Beware that one has to pay an extra 13k som in the train to receive a mattress!! On the train you have an endless stream of sellers passing through the hallway with all kinds of food, toiletries, clothes, etc.

From Beyney I actually took a shared taxi to Aktau as the train was full. Cost 5000 range but it was much faster and took only 5.5h.
2 x

pippac

Post by pippac »

Hi all, such helpful information! Does anyone know how much a ticket is on this train? We were quoted 350000 som today in Urguench station, which seemed a little pricey.
0 x