Aktau to Nukus by train

The Silk Road by train. Experts: Milad, Provodnik
mustuner

Re: Aktau to Nukus by train

Post by mustuner »

Hello, we are two cyclists. Since the Azerbaijani border is closed, we will drive to Tbilisi, Georgia, passing through the Turkey Aktaş Border Gate. We are planning to fly from Tbilisi to Aktau on August 9th. From there we will ride to Bukhara and Samarkand. Has anyone travelled by train from Aktau to Nukus recently? Is the train still running and do they take the bikes?
Alternatively, we can fly to Almaty, Kazakhstan, but this route will be slightly inverted. We're going to need some help with the train.
0 x

elhabibi

Post by elhabibi »

Hi Mustuner!

They recently reopened the train line that goes between Uzbekistan and Khazakstan, so this is indeed possible. In order to get to Nukus from Aktau, you will need to change trains in Beyneu. From there you will have a direct connection to Nukus. You can find tickets and schedule on https://tickets.kz/en/gd

Keep in mind the trains don't run every day, but around 3 times a week, so you might need to time your travel from Aktau to Beyneu in a way that you can make it in time for your connection to Nukus.

When I was in the area 2 months ago, I was trying to cross the other way around from Nukus to Aktau, but the trains were not running yet between UZ and KZ. Instead, I took a train from Nukus to Karakalpakst (the last train station next to the Kazakh border), then took a taxi to the Uzbek border, then a shared taxi to Beyneu once I crossed on the Kazakh side. I'm telling you this so you know there are some alternatives if things don't go as planned. While I was in the train, I bumped into a fellow biker that disassembled his bike, placed in a box and had no issues travelling in the train with it.

Travel Tip: if you have some time in Aktau, I advise you visit Boszhira in the Mangistau plateau. One of my highlights in Khazakstan. I used a tourist agency called kettiq travel, they do group tours for locals at a decent price. All other agencies ask for hundreds of dollars from western tourists on private SUV's.

All the best!
0 x

mustuner

Post by mustuner »

Hi elhabibi,

Thank you very much for your valuable information. The issue of crossing with this train (with bicycles) was very confusing to me. Everything is clearer now.

If anyone is going to follow a similar route with their bikes in the near future, they can also reach us at [email protected] or on Instagram @dunyaperestiz account.
0 x

Atkudabrat2

Post by Atkudabrat2 »

elhabibi wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:32 am
They recently reopened the train line that goes between Uzbekistan and Khazakstan, so this is indeed possible.
The line was shortly re opened (few lucky ones where able to cross) but the train from Nukus to Beineu has been halted again and not running since the beginning of the state of emergency July 1st (for one month).

The border with Kazakhstan and Karakalpakstan is I believed closed

Many kazakhs have been stucked on the Uzbek side at the border for few days at the beginning of the state of emergency

Source :
https://kun.uz/en/news/2022/07/04/about ... stan-video

Additional information : internet has been shut down in the all karakalpakstan (including Urgench)
Phone service works
State if emergency for one month may be more
Reason (from information I collected myself) :Uzbek gouvernement asks the flag of Karakalpakstan to be taken down..from what I seen the Karakalpakstan was still floating next to the Uzbek one in Nukus for example) so the state of emergency could carry on more..will see August 1st what happens

I have tried crossing (from UZ to Kaz) but once reached Nukus I backtracked

All trains to Beineu were cancelled (normally one at 8am and another one leave 20.17 every 2 or 3 days

Seen loads of armed men in the streets doing ID checks on people

Police and army people checking passing traffic at entrance and exit of cities

State of emergency in that area means curfew at 9pm..no one in the street after that time..(no wild camping)

Has for taking a bicycle into train. Uzbek trains should be fine (no need bribe unless you feel it is the last resort)..no box no dismantle..there is space in between 2 wagons (except the afrysob) but it need to get through one wagon with the bicycle (in the old train)

The train attendant might want to scare you off.giving him some cash might ease the process (5000tenge per bicycle should be enough). Another option is choosing first class or business class ticket (still very cheap) to ease the bicycle loading process

Kazakh train might be different especially if taking the Talgo ones..I manage to fit a totally dismantled bicycle (no box will not fit) in a Talgo train with a full train (4 passengers in the cabin)

2 bicycles will not fit in the same compartiment (not enough space unless you are 2 (I think if 2 people travelling..buying 4 tickets..2 for you and 2 for the bicycles will ease things)

Imagine you with your bicycles taking the luggage space of other passengers (you Don t want to be in that situation and left at the train station)

Now it is holiday time lots of people travel by train on the Mangistau-Almaty line

May be it is easier to fit bicycles on local train that runs only to Beineu if they are any...

Kazakh Talgo train space to fit dismantled bicycle (no box)
1 x

mustuner

Post by mustuner »

I will fly from Tbilisi to Aktau on August 9th. I hope that the situation in Karakalpakstan will improve. Otherwise, it will be a big disappointment. I need to reach Bukhara by bike from Aktau. I think the train is also the best option to cross the desert.
0 x

Teddy B

Post by Teddy B »

HI Everyone,

planning to go from Khiva to Aktau by train, but looking at this it appears I might have a problem.

Anyone have the latest information on both getting a train ticket/cost and the security situation?...I want to go this was as I can get a cheap flight from Aktau to Georgia but if its too much hassle/impossible has anyone other ideas to get there or Turkey for not too much expense?

Thanks
0 x

MartinN

Post by MartinN »

In other thread there is some better info, here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13106&sid=7ea704ae ... af06164e7b

Looks liker that security situation is better, so restrictions were lifted even before original plan. But still there is no 100% conformation that Tejan border is open.
So if anyone has the latest info or has crossed over Tejan border after restriction were lifted in Karakalpakstan, pls here info.
1 x

mustuner

Post by mustuner »

Hello, I was wondering about the latest situation. Is everything normal at the moment Nukus?
We will be in Aktau with our bikes on the 9th of August. However, we cannot find a train between Beynau and Nukus. Unfournatetly, no seat until August 25th. That's why we're considering flying back to Nukus or Urgenc from Aktau. Then we will bike to Bukhara. We do not want to wait days and days for train tickets.
0 x

MartinN

Post by MartinN »

Did somebody cross the border after state of emergency was lifted? Is it open for foreigners?
0 x

Teddy B

Post by Teddy B »

Don't kno Martin, I decided to re-route rather than risking going all the ay to the border and then having to backtrack.
0 x