Bishkek-Tashkent train: reports and Q&A

The Silk Road by train. Experts: Milad, Provodnik
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Bishkek-Tashkent train: reports and Q&A

Postby steven » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:37 am

We collect all info regarding the Bishkek-Tashkent train at the Uzbek train page.

We welcome your comments, questions and reports below.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

jmacdonald

Bishkek-Tashkent train: reports and Q&A

Postby jmacdonald » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Hi everyone!
We recently travelled to Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, and Uzbekistan and although we got a slightly different train I wanted to share our border crossing experience for any future travellers looking for this info (as my google searches brought this forum up!)

In June 2018, We took the Bishkek(Kyrgyzstan) to Tashkent(Uzbekistan) train. This meant that we had border crossings twice, from Kyrgyzstan to Kazakhstan, and then from Kazakhstan to Uzbekistan.

At the first 'border crossing' when we were exiting Kyrgyzstan, border control officials came on board and looked into our booth, and lifted our seats and had a light rummage in our bags. they then brought in a box/briefcase where they scanned our passport, asked us some questions (mainly about football once we had told them we were living in Manchester. United? City? a question we get a lot!) and stamped our passport.
Then, the train continued on for some 20 minutes when we stopped again and now the Kazakh border control officials came on board. This time the little box/briefcase even had a camera on it! They did the under seat check, looked through our passports, took a photo of us, gave us our stamps, and brought in a sniffer dog as well.

At the second border crossing (unfortunately for us, this was at 3 and 4 am respectively as the train arrives into Tashkent at 5.32am, ughhhhhh), the Kazakh border control officials came on, scanned our passports, checked under our seats, and left. We fell asleep to wake up at 4am when the Uzbek border control officials came on. Then again, did the under seat check, scanned our passports with their box/briefcases, checked our Uzbek Visas, asked us if we supported United or City, etc etc. We were surprised however that they didn't check our bags, ask us to declare currency or anything else for that matter.

Anyways, all in all, a very smooth experience!!
Highly recommended. :)
1 x

bananobananay

Postby bananobananay » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:05 pm

Hi! Thanks for your summary - I'll be taking this train in a few weeks. How did you book the train? And how much does it cost?
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Postby Milad » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:34 pm

At pass.rzd.ru (Russian Railways) it costs 2203 RUB (35 USD) in Platskartny (3rd class/open-plan sleeper), 2973 RUB (47 USD) in Kupe (2nd class/4-bed compartments) or 5702 RUB (90 USD) in Lux (1st class/2-bed sleeper). Bought at the counter in Uzbekistan, it might be slightly cheaper. You can buy tickets at all train stations in CIS countries (except Turkmenistan and maybe Tajikistan). You can also buy them online at pass.rzd.ru ONLY if you pass through Russia before to pick up a paper ticket at a Russian train station. The last alternative is an agency, they do charge ridiculous fees though.
0 x

pikdonker

Postby pikdonker » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:57 pm

I'll be taking this train come september. Have booked it through Kazakh railways (which means I have to pick up the ticket in Kazakhstan). Cost me about 35 euros or 14000 Tenge for a kupe ticket.

Only thing I'm not quite sure about is when the train will leave Bishkek. The Kazakh railway website says 6.51 am, but I'm a bit confused if this is local time or Moscow time.. I've got enough time to figure it out though..
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Postby Milad » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:25 pm

While Kyrgyz Railways has been using Moscow time since 1990, Russian Railways have abolished it since today/yesterday (August 1st 2018), so I assume Kyrgyz Railways will do/have done the same and swich(ed?) to local time. Best to ask at the station however...
2 x

smlby17

Postby smlby17 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:46 pm

Hi everybody,

planning to take the train End of August (30th) from Tashkent to Bishkek, could we pick up the ticket anywhere in Kazahkstan? We're arriving in Almaty and could pick it up then... Or do you think we would still get tickets if we book in Tashkent 2 days before departure?

Thanks for any advice!

Jan
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Postby Milad » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:45 am

Probably you will get tickets 2 days in advance, but I can't guarantee obviously. If you manage to book the train online with Kazakh Railways, picking up the ticket in Almaty should be no problem.
1 x

smlby17

Postby smlby17 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:39 pm

alright, yeah, I just wanted to know whether this train is normally full or just sparsely booked... But it seems that the option booking via Kazakh rail is the most promising... Thanks for your help!
0 x

pikdonker

Postby pikdonker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:01 pm

You can check how many seats are left through the kazakh or russian railway websites!
1 x