Overland Route: Kazakhstan - Mongolia

The Silk Road by train. Experts: Milad, Provodnik
kretek

Overland Route: Kazakhstan - Mongolia

Post by kretek »

Hey there,
we would like to go from Kazakhstan to Mongolia overland by public transport. We heard that it is possible to catch a bus from Astana or Karaganda, but did not find any further information on when it leaves or how much it costs. Another option is apparently to take trains into and out of Russia again, which, however, will cost us time and a lot of money.

Note, that we do not have a Russian visa yet. So, the dubious private minibuses that we heard of are not a real option for us, as we need some kind of ticket to apply for a Russian transit visa.

It would be great, if someone could help us out with some information, since even the almighty google search did not give us any satisfying results concerning this topic.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Overland Route: Kazakhstan - Mongolia

Post by steven »

I think the easiest and most comfortable way would be to get a train ticket up north to Omsk or Novosibirsk. You can get most of your money back if you choose not to go by train. Getting a ticket for a bus weeks in advance is more difficult in my mind.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Dracid

Post by Dracid »

Kazakhstan doesn't share the border with Mongolia - you have to travel either through Russia or China.
0 x

kretek

Post by kretek »

Thanks for your quick reply,
Hm...so train it will be. Has anyone have any experience of how to obtain a Russian transit visa in Astana? Especially on how long it will take?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Pls let us know, it changes all the time, and I didn't hear anything this year...so I would just be guessing.
0 x

povertyjetset

Post by povertyjetset »

Did you go to Mongolia? According to Wiki there is a bus from Astana to someplace in Mongolia that I can't locate; the bus goes via Russia Altai and I'm scouring the web looking for anyone who's done it.
0 x

kretek

Post by kretek »

Nope, sorry. We did not go, since we decided that Mongolia would probably be too cold at this time of year and thus we stayed a bit longer in Tajikistan.

We were about to go to Mongolia via Russian trains, though, as we thought it might be easier to get a Russian transit visa with an already purchased train ticket. You can check www.realrussia.co.uk for information on trains.

Best of luck and tell us how it went...just in case for the next trip ;)
0 x

povertyjetset

Post by povertyjetset »

0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks! Very useful indeed!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Info on public transport from Kazakhstan to Mongolia updated on this page: http://caravanistan.com/transport/bus-s ... -mongolia/
0 x