Kazakhstan corona travel restrictions Q&A

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
airlinedlx

Re: Kazakhstan corona travel restrictions Q&A

Post by airlinedlx »

I just got an official answer from the kazakh embassy in France, confirming that visas are no longer needed for less than 30 days for french people, BUT the infamous "protocol" is still mandatory... For those who haven't been in KZ since the beginning of the whole COVID situation, it's an official paper that basically grants foreigners the right to come in Kazakhstan according to the current COVID situation, i'm not quite sure what the point is since vaccine and PCR are already mandatory for airtravel, but last time we went they wouldn't let anyone in the plane without this paper. I don't know which countries this applies to except for France.
1 x

plov7

Post by plov7 »

Report from Ak Zhol-Korday (KG-KZ) land border crossing earlier this week. Visa-on-arrival resumed but some citizens may still need inter departmental committee (IDC) protocol permission. Senior officer said IDC protocol permission was not needed if entering by air but a third-party work permit company contradicts (https://new.wpk.kz/mvk_eng). IDC protocol permission process may take several weeks to be granted or denied.

No instructions regarding process from KZ Ministry of Foreign Affairs and no replies to email enquiries. https://www.gov.kz/memleket/entities/mfa

Negative PCR test still needed. Digital report/certificate can be shown to staff at first table and details are hand copied into a book. Identifying ethnicity/race may need to be given.

Beware if denied entry into KZ and must re-enter KG as extortion for money by KG border officers citing unclear or false regulations continues. Exit visa is also cancelled which might lead to overstay status (but KG is still allowing 'green corridor' overstay until March 1, 2022).
4 x

Nikopol

Post by Nikopol »

To add, I have been trying to get some details from Border servise as consulate simply told me they are not sure about the regime post-January and I should get in touch with them.

In short, they told me they can give info only via phone or if you send letter to their adress, not via email. I have absolutely no idea why, been even writing them in russian in order to remove language barrier. My spoken russian isnt exactly stellar, but I'll try to call them next week as current rules re arrivals are contradictory (one which says no one aside of few exception allowed, another which says you can come visa free and nowhere is specifying air service like russian current rules do).
0 x

Callmeishmael

Post by Callmeishmael »

Does anyone know what the situation is with US citizens entering Kazakhstan? I'm reading that permission from the Interdepartmental Commission is required for US citizens but not seeing a lot of info on how to get it.
0 x

MaUji

Post by MaUji »

This just came through. Hopefully we’ll hear some good news in the coming days.

https://primeminister.kz/ru/news/v-prav ... 9I7hurQBzU
1 x

isma_t

Post by isma_t »

Does anyone have any more news on this?

The link posted earlier (https://new.wpk.kz/mvk_eng) does say now that IDC is no longer required
Air Astana's Before Your Flight section is contradictory on this matter
Neither of my usual sources (IATA and US embassy site) has been updated despite the announcement
1 x

MaUji

Post by MaUji »

Yes, the border control has updated the government website.

https://www.gov.kz/memleket/entities/sh ... 0s&lang=en

It’s right at the bottom.
But the IDC permission requirement is only eliminated for visa free countries if passengers come by air. IDC permission is still required if crossing over land.
1 x

mvdn

Post by mvdn »

Air Astana's info page on visa free entry has been updated. Shows a long list of countries (PCR still required)
1 x

itfcfan

Post by itfcfan »

I had a positive experience flying from Frankfurt to Astana on Friday (18th Feb). I'm a UK citizen and I flown to KZ a few times over the pandemic (I'm eligible for a visa through marriage). This trip, check-in was far simpler. Instead of a grilling by the check-in agent like my previous trips, they had a paper listing the 57 countries that KZ has a visa-free agreement with, and once they found UK on this list they didn't check anything further with my documentation.

Also, yesterday, Kazakhstan stopped requiring PCR tests for vaccinated people arriving. The list of countries that Kazakhstan recognises vaccine certificates for includes the UK (mutual recognition of vaccine certificates between Kazakhstan and UK was agreed on 11th February, but for Kazakhst this doesn't include people vaccinated with Sputnik).
https://astanatimes.com/2022/02/kazakhs ... usinesses/
A COVID PCR test for Kazakh citizens who enter the country is not required if people received revaccination or two doses of the vaccine, or if at least six months have passed since they received the second dose.

A COVID PCR test is not required for foreign citizens from countries with mutual recognition of vaccination certificates.
Given its a new rule, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who successfully flies to KZ showing a UK vaccine certificate instead of a PCR.
2 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Heard of a Kazakh living in the Netherlands flying yesterday. He was asked for a PCR test 3 times. By Turkish Airlines in Amsterdam and Istanbul, and at customs in Almaty.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D