Entering port of Aktau or Kuryk - Covid restrictions

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
Garrian

Entering port of Aktau or Kuryk - Covid restrictions

Post by Garrian »

Hello,

Kazakhstan has just opened its land borders with Russia, Kyrgystan and Uzbekistan. But it doesn't say anything about maritim border. I want to take ferry (with car) from Azerbaijan or Iran. I have contacted embassy and they said it was closed, but he sounded a bit unsure.

So, does anyone know anything regarding this, or know who I can contact to find out?

Thanks!
0 x

Garrian

Re: Entering port of Aktau or Kuryk - Covid restrictions

Post by Garrian »

Anyone knows? Some say its open, and some say its closed.... Im so confused, and I am to travel in 2-3 weeks :/
0 x

Marcellc67

Post by Marcellc67 »

The news I heard is also that they opened all land borders - nothing specifically was said about the port(s) unless they included them in opening all borders.
0 x

Garrian

Post by Garrian »

Marcellc67 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:37 am
The news I heard is also that they opened all land borders - nothing specifically was said about the port(s) unless they included them in opening all borders.
Yes, land borders are open. But when checking with the port people in kazakhstan, I need a permit to enter from seaport. Some people say that its because of land border to Azerbaijan is still closed. So, maybe it is open if I enter from ferry from Iran? I dont know...
0 x

Kenny0031

Post by Kenny0031 »

Garrian wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:16 am
Marcellc67 wrote:
Yes, land borders are open. But when checking with the port people in kazakhstan, I need a permit to enter from seaport. Some people say that its because of land border to Azerbaijan is still closed. So, maybe it is open if I enter from ferry from Iran? I dont know...
It seems Azerbaijan will open it's land borders 1 May.
Maybe that changes it.

(planning to be in Azerbaijan half June).
1 x

Nikopol

Post by Nikopol »

Garrian wrote:
Marcellc67 wrote:
There isnt a ferry from Iran.

Maritime borders generally fall under specific organization, but TBH its just as likely Astana officials just didnt think about this because those ferries take tourists even before COVID only in marginal numbers and as for cargo, that was always allowed to go in. So wouldnt blame them if they just never even thought about it and dont really care much about it too.

That said, even during pandemic the ferry operated (its general cargo ship that as addition to get some more money also takes passangers in spare cabins) and in theory you could get in if you had IDC certificate, but I really doubt anyone done so in those two years. But Azeri port replied to my mail saying that if I want to buy passanger ticket, I can. That they never stopped the service.
1 x

Simon24

Post by Simon24 »

Kenny0031 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:26 am
Garrian wrote:
Marcellc67 wrote:
It seems Azerbaijan will open it's land borders 1 May.
Maybe that changes it.

(planning to be in Azerbaijan half June).
Land and sea borders in Azerbaijan closed until at least November 1 2022.
0 x