Things to do in Aktau

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
Jonesy

Things to do in Aktau

Post by Jonesy »

Does anyone have any recommendations for Aktau in February? I'm going to be arriving in the morning after a long train ride from Shymkent and have the day to kill before an evening flight to either Yerevan or Tblisi. Any suggestions are welcome!
0 x

Jonesy

Re: Things to do in Aktau

Post by Jonesy »

Ha! I'm guessing the lack of responses may mean I should just head straight to the airport!
0 x

dina.lowe

Post by dina.lowe »

Hi,
I’m in Aktau right now, truthfully the best thing to do is just walk along the coastline, there’s a nice path going along the beach. Other than that, there’s not a lot to do but after a long train ride a seaside walk will be welcome :) cheers
1 x

sion_sanky

Post by sion_sanky »

Jonesy wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:25 pm
Does anyone have any recommendations for Aktau in February? I'm going to be arriving in the morning after a long train ride from Shymkent and have the day to kill before an evening flight to either Yerevan or Tblisi. Any suggestions are welcome!
There are several tour agencies that can take you on day trips in the Mangystau Region (some of them are Mangystau Safari, Kettik Mangystau, City Tout Aktau, Redmaya Tours and so on- you can contact them via instagram or whatsapp). If you are interested in the stark desert like landscapes of the Mangystau Region, you can definitely spend 2-3 days in Aktau. (I took 2 day trips, and they were worth it, but i am not sure how frequently these operate in the winter months)
1 x

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

sion_sanky wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:52 am
Jonesy wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:25 pm
There are several tour agencies that can take you on day trips in the Mangystau Region (some of them are Mangystau Safari, Kettik Mangystau, City Tout Aktau, Redmaya Tours and so on- you can contact them via instagram or whatsapp). If you are interested in the stark desert like landscapes of the Mangystau Region, you can definitely spend 2-3 days in Aktau. (I took 2 day trips, and they were worth it, but i am not sure how frequently these operate in the winter months)
Thanks. My concern is the train from Shymkent arrives late and I end up with a curtailed trip as I want to leave that night.

I do like deserts though - have lived Tunisia and Xinjiang!
0 x

alethialee

Post by alethialee »

There’s a local tour company in aktau called kettik that organizes day trip to Mangystau plateau but your timetable stands first.
1 x