Aktau to Uralsk - Do I need a Russian transit visa?

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
Keeru159

Aktau to Uralsk - Do I need a Russian transit visa?

Post by Keeru159 »

Hi,

I am planning to take a train (613x) from Aktau to Uralsk and then one again from Uralsk to Astana ( (058x) - I love train journeys and thought this would be the best way to see many parts of a huge country' like Kazakhstan.

I read that to get to Uralsk one needs to pass though Russian border after Aqtobe. I am not planning to get a transit visa for Russia , so would I be able to go on these trains?

Regards,
Keerthana
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Re: Aktau to Uralsk - Do I need a Russian transit visa?

Post by Milad »

These trains call in Russia (Ilezk) so you need a Russian visa.

For trains passing through Russia without stopping you do not need one (at least this was the case pre-Covid) but it seems that there is now only train 28T Uralsk-Almaty passing through Russia without stopping.
0 x

Keeru159

Post by Keeru159 »

Thanks for your reply.

Are the trains with 'T" next to their number Talgo trains?
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

This one is a Talgo train, but it's simple coincidence (there is no rule, there are also Talgo trains with different numbers).
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

I did this at the beginning of October 2022 on a Talgo train that didn't stop - and no visa was needed. The Russian "refugees" that travelled on the same train were quite worried when they found out that that the train travelled for more than 100km (I think) through Russian territory...
And yes, the connection I took back then no longer exists... Only one non-stop train per day.
0 x