Polygon Semipalatinsk Test Site and Museum: open or not?

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
Gabacho

Re: Re: Polygon

Post by Gabacho »

Hello,

Do you have some update about the tours ? Are they still closed ? I plan to go there in a few weeks.

Thanks !
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Still closed for us. In any case, it was always closed in winter, even before.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

srbal

Re: Polygon

Post by srbal »

Hi,

is there any more news about access to the Polygon? I would like to visit mid-May 2020. Might be a bit early to ask since it is still winter, but maybe there is news

Thank you
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Still closed.

For the next person asking for news: it's still closed as well. As soon as it will open again, I will let you know.

In the meantime, still closed.

It might still be closed for a decade or two, it might open tomorrow. I don't know.

But it's still closed for now.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

ss84

Post by ss84 »

Hello - I'm headed to Kazakahistan in August.

I contacted this tour company and they are claiming that they ARE running tours to Seminpalatink, but they acknowledge that the "polygon" is closed.

https://silkadv.com/en/content/tour-sem ... -test-site

I'm unclear on exactly what else they do include then other than the atomic lake. I'd love to get this forum's perspective on if a tour like this would still be 'worth it' or if it's better to skip this area and focus on other parts of Kazakhstan.
0 x

mauriceg

Post by mauriceg »

ss84 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:04 am

I contacted this tour company and they are claiming that they ARE running tours to Seminpalatink, but they acknowledge that the "polygon" is closed.

I'm unclear on exactly what else they do include then other than the atomic lake. I'd love to get this forum's perspective on if a tour like this would still be 'worth it' or if it's better to skip this area and focus on other parts of Kazakhstan.

Did you find out more about what a tour would entail? :)
0 x

jigeel

Opening polygon museum and STS

Post by jigeel »

Hello, I'd like to visit the Smipalatinsk Test Site as soon as possible, with the museum and all the area open as before the pandemic, are there any news about when are they going to reopen the museum? Also is it possible to film there?
0 x

beninalmaty

Re: Polygon Semipalatinsk Test Site and Museum: open or not?

Post by beninalmaty »

I found this company offering tours to the Polygon. https://www.saigatours.com/doc/kazakhstan-polygon-tour/
Has anyone been with them before? Anyone have any information?
0 x

ss84

Post by ss84 »

Hey - did you think it was worth it to do both days of the tour or was most of the interesting stuff on day 2 when you visit the test field? In other words - is the atomic lake 'worth it' for the extra day? Thanks!
semmel wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:38 am
duffydj wrote:
semmel wrote:update:
I am in contact with a local tour guide... He told me the museum is closed, but the test site and the atomic lake are visitable.

btw: We are doing a tour on 24th + 25th august (if someone wants to join just hit me a message)
Hi there. I'm going to be there at the beginning of September.

Did you manage to do the tour? Could you share rough costs or guide contacts?

Many thanks!
Yes we attended the tour! It was an awesome and really interesting tour.

We hired this guide: https://indy-guide.com/en/yerlan Originally he asked for ~ 1500$ for the 2day tour. In the end we paid 1050$ (for 3 people, so 350$ each) for the 2-day tour.

bad news for you: he wrote me recently, that visiting the test site is now prohibited and we were some of the last visitors :(
0 x

ss84

Post by ss84 »

This is what they said

Day 1, underground test site: • History of Soviet nuclear project Y’1962-1989, underground tests; • Industrial use of nuclear charges, parallels with USA; • Atomic lake (artificial); •The bunker, from where tests were controlled, lunch; •The silo of underground laboratory; • Destroyed missile launchers, launch command point;

Day 2, Air and land tests. •History of Soviet nuclear project throughY’1943-1962: •Kurchatov city; • Chagan air base for heavy bombers: • Air base; • Ghost town; • Anti-missile battalion. • History through eyes of private people, workers and officials.

mauriceg wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:45 am
ss84 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:04 am

Did you find out more about what a tour would entail? :)
0 x