Lake Balkhash

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
tristanwhotravels

Lake Balkhash

Post by tristanwhotravels »

I'm considering going on a short 3-day/long weekend trip to Lake Balkhash, from Almaty by car.
Can anyone offer any advice on what there is to do there - fishing, sailing, kite surfing etc? Where are the best beaches, cleanest water, nicest camping spots? Where is best to avoid?
Alternatively some recommended tour companies that could help.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks.
0 x

IndianGuy
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: Lake Balkhash

Post by IndianGuy »

I went to Balkhash many years ago, in 2009 and 2011. If I still remember well, they took me to Japanese Beach on the lake. You can swim (I did), do fishing (I saw other people doing), and travel in small boat/ferry which carries many people (I did). Except lake, there were hardly anythings to see as it was a small town.

But, interestingly I heard there is a "Hare Rama, Hare Krishna" - Indian shop run by Indian Punjabi fellow. It was quite a surprise to me. I am looking for someone who travels from Balkhash to Astana so that I could order few Indian pickles. Anyway, that is a different matter. If I get more info regarding your queries, I will let you know little later.
0 x
There is more to see in Kazakhstan. Visit my blog:
http://astana-almaty.blogspot.com/

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I was in the city of Balkhash once, quite an interesting experience, hanging out on the beach with the smoke of the giant zinc factory bellowing out in front of you. Quite a lot of Soviet left-overs, enjoyable for a few hours. Good fish they had. A lot of alcoholics too. I know birdwatchers go to Karaoy on the south side, but September is the best time for that. I don't know when fishing is allowed. Mosquitoes are a big problem on Balkhash!

I haven't researched the topic myself yet, so cannot recommend any further. Please let us know if you find some good spots. You really need to talk to guys dressed in camouflage - they know all the best spots! :-)
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

tristanwhotravels

Post by tristanwhotravels »

Brilliant! Thanks guys.
I'll be sure to report back on any advice I might think your readers will find useful.
0 x