Rug makers in southern Kazakhstan

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
SuzyFromMT

Rug makers in southern Kazakhstan

Post by SuzyFromMT »

Hello travelers -

Our family will be travelling through south Kazakhstan in September and we are curious to know if anyone knows of traditional rug makers who we could visit. We have heard that there is a small factory somewhere south of Kyzylorda, but have no more information than that. Does anyone know of any rug artisans in the regions of Almaty, Turkestan or Kyzylorda? BTW, we are not high end rug buyers, so not interested in rug galleries. We are interested in the traditional art.

Thank you - Suzy (who is SO excited to visit central Asia!)
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Rug makers in southern Kazakhstan

Post by steven »

Hi Suzy,

I gotta ask Saule to answer this, she is the arts&crafts expert of the family. But I do have another question. Why Kazakhstan, seeing how UZbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan have much more famous carpet making businesses? Or are you just not going there?
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

There's a pretty interesting carpet workshop in Hotan, Xinjiang, China, too. If you want to see someone doing it "traditional" style, at home, I imagine your best bet would be to visit a rural village in Tajikistan or Uzbekistan (for knotted carpets) and ask a local tour guide.
0 x

SuzyFromMT

Post by SuzyFromMT »

Thanks guys. It has to be Kazakhstan or Mongolia (and we have just 1 day in Bishkek). Our kids were born there/adopted as babies. This is a going home trip for them to explore their Kazakh heritage.
0 x

saule
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by saule »

Hi Suzy,

Kazakh felt carpets are very similar to Kyrgyz "shyrdaks". Basically you can`t tell a difference.

I had 2 contacts in Almaty who produce and sell hand-made carpets. Good quality carpets, but as anything hand-made in Kazakhstan - expensive. Wages here are much higher than in Uzbekistan, KG, Mongolia or Tajikistan. You can check some images here http://www.aigulline.kz/ru/products/interior Aigul is running a social business and she is famous. I am not sure if her prices will be affordable, but you can try to check for a smaller carpet. Her carpets are definitely made in Kazakhstan, unlike many others which are brought from Kyrgyzstan and sold as Kazakh.

Second lady lives in Abai village 1 hour drive from Almaty. Her prices might be lower. But unfortunately I lost her contacts...

Of course it would be easier to buy a carpet in a gallery or on the market. You can try Baraholka market in Almaty. There are some carpets with Kazakh traditional ornaments, but made in the factory. Those shouldn't be expensive.
0 x
Saule at Caravanistan team