A week around Almaty

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
kittysoman2013

A week around Almaty

Post by kittysoman2013 »

Spending around a week around Almaty, where would people recommend to explore the natural beauty of the region? I'm torn between Kolsai Lakes National Park and Aksu-Zhabagyly Nature Reserve ... I'd also like to combine these with Turkestan. Is that anywhere else that you'd recommend as essential in such a short time?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: A week around Almaty

Post by steven »

Well, Aksu-Zhabagly and Turkestan are more than 1000 km away from Almaty, so to call it "around Almaty" is a bit of a stretch.

I just rewrote my Around Almaty article with 3 itineraries: https://caravanistan.com/kazakhstan/almaty-region/

Let me know if that's useful, or what you are missing there in terms of information. Would be good to get some feedback to see if it answers your questions.

I also just rewrote the Aksu-Zhabagly article, not sure if you have seen it yet: https://caravanistan.com/kazakhstan/sou ... -zhabagly/
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

I want to add multiple routes to this list. I did not find these points in your presentation.

For example - Ketmen mountains.

Tuzkol lake.

I can give details if there is interest.
1 x

Koen

Post by Koen »

wow that picture with the lynx is so good.
Is this the mountain area east of kegen upto Ketmen?
0 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

Yes, that's right, this place. We drove from Kegen to Lake Tuzkol through Syryjaz and Tekes. This is a somewhat circular path, but we got a beautiful view from the south to the valley and the lake.

This video is an instruction on how to get to Tuzkol lake from Almaty.

https://youtu.be/3AJvdCc_q9w

We spent the night at the lake. The next day we drove along the Shalkudysu river, fished there, then went through the Ketmen ridge to Chundzha.

This is a video with the main episodes of the trip.

https://youtu.be/pxPFyDmFMFU

And one more important thing. You have the opportunity to see Khan-Tengri from Tuzkol lake. This is a photo of last year, autumn. Pobeda Peak is visible on the right.

1 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

One unusual place near Alma-Ata.
"Almost in the very center of Eurasia, in the south of Kazakhstan, bursting out of the Tien Shan mountains, the Ili River flows - the largest river of Semirechye. Beginning in China, from the confluence of the Tekes and Kunges rivers, having run one and a half thousand kilometers measured by nature, it gives its waters to Lake Balkhash. More than half of its way, the river passes through Kazakhstan and here, a little below the dam of the Kapchagai hydroelectric power station, not far from the river bank, the City of Nomads was erected." story, photo, video

https://youtu.be/iwGdUp8hGic

0 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

Kapchagai reservoir, Kapchagai sea. He is Kapchagai, he is Kapshagai, he is Kapchik. What are the opportunities for recreation on a pond with so many names? An overview of the coast and opportunities to relax for free and for money. Rest in boarding houses, hotels and recreation centers, rest in campsites and "wild" on the beach. story, photo, video

1 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

A colossal ice volcano discovered in Kazakhstan!
A huge ice mountain… No! Not just a mountain, but a real ice volcano, from the mouth of which steam pours and water splashes! A mysterious object suddenly appears from around a bend in the road and grows before our eyes as we approach it. It became possible to fully appreciate its size only when I drove up close, got out of the car and took the photo that you see now ... :-)
I made this discovery on January 19, 2023 at 13 hours 41 minutes 28 seconds of Astana time. He did it completely by accident and, thereby, greatly changed his future plans. That's how it was.
2 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

I have already published photos of Khan-Tengri Peak and Pobeda Peak in this topic. Now photo Khan-Tengri solo. ))

0 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

Tourists who are interested in vivid impressions near Almaty. Visiting places like Medeo and Chimbulak can be considered a must. )) The last photo is a view of the city from the Talgar pass (altitude 3200 m).

0 x