Soyuz 11 Landing Site Memorial - How to get there?

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
davelegenda

Soyuz 11 Landing Site Memorial - How to get there?

Post by davelegenda »

Hello, I've been reading Caravanistan for some time now but I decided to make an account today just to see if I can get more information on a place which I would like to visit in August in Kazakhstan.

The Soyuz 11 space mission ended in disaster in 1971 when Soviet cosmonauts died in orbit due to a valve that malfunctioned upon landing. A few years later, a memorial was installed at the site of the landing.

Now - I want to visit this memorial. The problem is that it's in the middle of nowhere! While I do have the coordinates and I know WHERE it is (47.3565°N 70.1212°E, 90 km south of Karazhal), I can't figure out HOW to get there.

The monument is in the middle of the desert 16 miles from the nearest road (I think it's the R-184 passing by the village of Shalginsky). I'm used to travel in ex-USSR countries by public transport, so I wouldn't know much about hiking and the likes. Can I walk the 16 miles from the road to the monument and back? Is it dangerous (wild animals?)?

I could not literally find ANY information on the internet on how to get there. Which is very unusual, as I couldn't find any info even in Russian, which I was always able to do in the past for similar excursions (e.g. Vorkuta or Oymyakon. This will however be my first time in Central Asia).

From a video that I saw a couple of days ago on Youtube (dating back to when the monument was restored after being vandalised a few years back), it seems that there is a gravel path leading to the area of the monument. If that's the case indeed, can I maybe rent a car or a bike and then go off road from Shalginsky? Or even better, ask locals to take me there?
0 x